DRIVE BELT PROBLEMS

JOND633

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, this is my first post of many I'm sure. I have a Craftsman 42" 6 speed lawn tractor model no. 917.270514. Recently I purchased new drive belt and a new deck belt (checked owners manual and purchased the correct 1/2" x 95" belt for the drive and a 1/2" x 88 3/8" for the deck). I changed the deck belt first then the drive belt. hooked everything back up and started it to check how everything went. When I engaged the blades my mandrel housing on the left snapped right off the deck. Removed deck again and set it off to the side and ordered replacement mandrels today. I then started the tractor again to see if the drive belt did what it was supposed to do. I put it in first and away it went. I went to put it in second and the shifter knob wouldn't move out of first. I even had a hard time getting it back to neutral and even when I did it still felt like it wanted to pull! I am beyond lost. If there is anyone out there that can give a brother some guidance it would be most helpful.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Manual Craftsman Lawn tractor 917270514 | SearsPartsDirect page 23 instructions for drive belt replacement in manual. Did you purchase replacement belts from Sears? Remove deck & inspect new belt installation thoroughly taking your time, also inspect idler pulleys for replacement as bearings in idlers do wear out, you will need to remove idlers for inspection of pulleys & bearings, hold pulley in one & spin bearings with a finger or two, if bearings are not smooth while rotating replace them, idlers that is.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey all, this is my first post of many I'm sure. I have a Craftsman 42" 6 speed lawn tractor model no. 917.270514. Recently I purchased new drive belt and a new deck belt (checked owners manual and purchased the correct 1/2" x 95" belt for the drive and a 1/2" x 88 3/8" for the deck). I changed the deck belt first then the drive belt. hooked everything back up and started it to check how everything went. When I engaged the blades my mandrel housing on the left snapped right off the deck. Removed deck again and set it off to the side and ordered replacement mandrels today. I then started the tractor again to see if the drive belt did what it was supposed to do. I put it in first and away it went. I went to put it in second and the shifter knob wouldn't move out of first. I even had a hard time getting it back to neutral and even when I did it still felt like it wanted to pull! I am beyond lost. If there is anyone out there that can give a brother some guidance it would be most helpful.

I would check all the shifting linkage. The belt transfers the power from the engine to the transmission. The shifter and its linkage changes the gear ratios within it to gain various speeds.
It would seem that you have some binding linkage/swivel joints, etc.
of course check the routing of your belt to make sure it is behind all keepers and has the correct routing.

JOND633

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mechanic Mark, I have the manual and followed the instructions for removing and installing the drive belt. Everything looked as it should have and I actually spun all the pulleys before installing the new belt.

Shiftsuper175607, how do I go about checking the linkage on the trans? I cannot find anything online or youtube.

Thank you again for your help guys!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mechanic Mark, I have the manual and followed the instructions for removing and installing the drive belt. Everything looked as it should have and I actually spun all the pulleys before installing the new belt.

Shiftsuper175607, how do I go about checking the linkage on the trans? I cannot find anything online or youtube.

Thank you again for your help guys!

I would follow the handle down that you move to shift. It will connect to something in someway.
Check that connect, that it is in good condition and free to move. then continue on to the next connection etc.
there may be a couple of 90 degree turns that it makes. There can be no frozen joints or connections.

I had one mower that had a link that had a ball socket on each end. One end was rusted fast and could not move freely.

You could have someone move the shifter for you as you watch the movement of the linkages.

rivvgs

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello, i have owned a lt3000 since 2005 it too has a 42 inch deck. i have never changed the trans drive belt, so i cant speak for that, however. you mentioned that you installed the 95 inch belt on the drive... these lawn tractors have basic similarities as long as they are 42 inch decks with manual clutch IE belt tension, verses electric.
the craftsmen deck belt that my mower calls for is actually 95.5 inches long and fairly pricey, i have modified mine to use a more common 95 inch belt available from gates at most advance auto stores with a year warranty. my point is that the deck, uses the 95 inch belt. perhaps the belts were installed in wrong location???? just a thought