Export thread

Drive Belt on a 917.271011

jamesj326

jamesj326

I literally found this mower on the side of the road out for the trash about 6 years ago. I bought a tire for it and used it as is at my hunting lease ever since, I have changed the oil, and had to change the carb last year, i got a cheap one off wish and it works. The starter does not work, might be the solenoid, not sure but I don't use a battery with it anyways now. For the last 4 years I just jump it off the car direct to the starter. The mower runs like a champ. Last year the deck belt broke and I changed that, now this year the drive belt broke. I think after all this time, it deserves some love and attention because it has been a champ. I have collected a new solenoid, new springs for the governor, a new battery. I have a concern about the drive belt. The one I took off measures 86 inches but the manual that I downloaded says it takes an 88 inch belt. Can anyone confirm what belt I should use before I order one?

StarTech

StarTech

You must referring the deck belt as it is 1/2 X 88 (PN 532144200) as the drive belt is 1/2 x 95-1/4 (PN 532138255). Usually using a 88" belt on the deck would cause major problems but the engagement linkage adjust is probably maxed out to even to get it to work.

jamesj326

jamesj326

It is possible that I mixed them up because when I broke the drive belt, i just cut the deck belt and pulled it out, since I wanted to replace both. But what you mentioned makes sense, because when I found the mower the linkage was broken on the deck, and it had a homemade lever on it, that set it up so that the blades would engage all the time. Last year when I replaced the belt, I just took it into the shop and matched it up with a replacement, last week I installed new linkage parts and fixed it, but had a heck of a time getting the belt on and had to take all the adjustment out of the lever and when I would disengage the blades they would still rotate. That s why I cut the belt, I was going to buy a longer one. I will get a 95-1/4 and the 88.

Even with all these crazy repairs the mower has been a real beast, It has cut a lot of brush. Right now, to stop it, I just ground out the coil, this weekend I am going to rewire it and give it some attention so I can use the starter and the key, lights work on it when the engine is running. All the safety switches have been by passed, I am going to rewire them as well.

thanks

StarTech

StarTech

Okay, Just be aware the the clutch/brake switch is a normally open one and the PTO switch is a normally closed one so don't mix them up. A couple years ago I had a customer to bring a mower that ran into his new car after he was knocked off the mower by a limb. He had purchase the mower from a shop that had installed the wrong switch and bypass another switch. His insurance wanted me to document the repairs so they could go after the other shop to recover their money for the repairs to the car. Must of went well as I haven't heard anything back since.