DR Brushmower battery keeps dying, even replacements.

amandamdeloreto

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / DR Brushmower battery keeps dying, even replacements.
Hi there, I need help if you don't mind. I have a humungous DR brush mower and here is the problem. The mower battery keeps dying. I have replaced it and the first time mowing the battery goes dead while mowing. The first thing that goes is the blades stop running because there is no battery power. The engage switch is A-okay and the key switch part is 100% okay too. It is pretty new. I don't want to get it serviced because I like to try to fix things. Thanks so much!! Amanda

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi Amanda which model of DR do you have. Also provide the model number of the engine so we can assist with charging problems. So for this test you will need a volt meter(multimeter). With the engine off connect the red lead of the ] meter to the positive terminal and the black lead to the negative terminal of the battery. Check the voltage. Should be around 12-12.5 volts. Now the the engine running recheck the voltage. Should be 13.5-14.5 volts. If you are not getting that voltage with the engine running then the charging system isn't working to recharge the battery. After giving us the model of engine then we can give further assistance for checking the charging system if needed.

amandamdeloreto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Amanda which model of DR do you have. Also provide the model number of the engine so we can assist with charging problems. So for this test you will need a volt meter(multimeter). With the engine off connect the red lead of the ] meter to the positive terminal and the black lead to the negative terminal of the battery. Check the voltage. Should be around 12-12.5 volts. Now the the engine running recheck the voltage. Should be 13.5-14.5 volts. If you are not getting that voltage with the engine running then the charging system isn't working to recharge the battery. After giving us the model of engine then we can give further assistance for checking the charging system if needed.
Hi thank you
for getting back to me it was purchased 5 years ago with a Briggs and Stratton engine 656 20.0 it says on it. I will have to get a multimeter which I can do easily. The battery is brand new.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Amanda the engine numbers that I am looking for should be stamped into the valve cover. I believe I may have the exact DR in the shop right now for spring service. Get you multimeter and then we can go through diagnostics May be more complicated than I originally though because they hid the connectors for the regulator under the blower housing.

amandamdeloreto

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will look under the cover thank you!