Does coating the underside of deck really work?

Diamond Jim

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased the body undercoating and it is as thick as you can imagine. I have used it on many other jobs.

oneoldsap

Threads
What I have found the spray on non stick products do , is make the deck easier to clean . I mow about a dozen lawns per week . I Clean , and Sharpen once a week (scrape and pressure wash) on the weekend . After letting the deck dry completely , I spray it liberally with no stick , put the Blades back on , and repeat . Keep paint on the deck at all times . Needless to say , the lesser lift a blade has , the less it fowls the deck , and throws stones . I run a Gator G-6 Blade , most of the time . I'd like to CeraKote a deck , but haven't figured out how to bake one yet !

oneoldsap

Threads
In the spring when I'm getting the mowers ready, when the front is in the air so I can
access under the deck. I'll scrap/power wash as best I can and take some old cans
of spray paint, maybe several different ones. And spray the underside...really cover it
well. Prolly lasts through 3 - 4 mowings.
Do what you're doing in the fall , instead of letting the grass rot out your deck ! Decks cleaned before storage will last longer , as will decks cleaned more frequently ! I service mine every week .

Mike1937

Forum Newbie
Threads
POR 15 chassis coat will stand up to the abrasion
Man bullets bounce off that stuff when fully cured
However it HAS to be done properly which takes a very long time to do

Ron3

Threads
Just buy a mower with a good heavy fabricated deck ,remove build up grass after each mowing and it will last longer than the rest of the mower.

Ranchito

Threads
Has anyone tried something like that spray-on bed liner, without the grit?
I have used the bed liner for the last two years with good results. Three years ago I sand blasted the rust from the 10 year old deck and primed and painted. Realizing that would not work, the following year I pressure washed and used Rustoleum bed liner spray. Results were impressive, so the following year I again used the pressure washer and bed liner. This is done after removing the deck, a 5 minute operation. Considering the cost of a replacement deck plus truck freight, this is the way to go.

bkeller500

Threads
I have used the bed liner for the last two years with good results. Three years ago I sand blasted the rust from the 10 year old deck and primed and painted. Realizing that would not work, the following year I pressure washed and used Rustoleum bed liner spray. Results were impressive, so the following year I again used the pressure washer and bed liner. This is done after removing the deck, a 5 minute operation. Considering the cost of a replacement deck plus truck freight, this is the way to go.
Will the bed liner spray hold up when you do a occasional deck scraping if it gets loaded with wet grass. Will scraping remove the coating easily?

SARG

Threads
Short answer in my experience ----------- NO. ( 1 ZT , 4 tractors & about 6 push mowers )

Ranchito

Threads
I haven't tried scraping the underside during the mowing season, rather using a water stream instead. The bedliner is mostly intact when the deck is again removed for service. Here the mowing season is 12 months, so I think the bedliner is a good, easily applied coating giving 12 months of protection.