Do I need a new coil? Does brand matter?

tluxtele

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm handy-ish, but don't normally work on engines, so forgive me if I explain things poorly. Here's the rundown.

If it matters, my mower's model number is 917.288280

Last week I noticed at the end of mowing that my mower sounded kinda rough. I shut it off and restarted it. It restarted fine but after about 2-3 seconds it sounded rough again. By rough I mean that it sounded like it was "missing/backfiring/sputtering." I was told that it could be a bad spark plug or a bad coil. I ordered a new set of plugs. Before just replacing the plugs I started the mower and pulled the coil wire off of the "driver's side" plug. All of the backfiring and missing went away. The engine was running smoothly. I shut it off and replaced that plug and attached the coil wire back onto that plug. I started it up and it was missing/backfiring again. I was told the next thing it could be is the coil for that side so I should order a new one and give that a check.

I was also told that while I wait, it wouldn't be any harm to mow the lawn. I was able to cut the grass the just fine. Most of the time I didn't even notice there was an issue. Every now and then it would feel like it was starting to run out of gas, then go back to being fine. When I stopped mowing, turned off the blades and parked it it was back to backfiring/sputtering pretty good.

So I have a few questions.
  1. Am I getting good advice? Is this the road I should be going down?
  2. When ordering a new coil, does brand, or the place I buy it from matters? I looked up the part number (691060) on Sears and it's about $48. It looks like I can order a new coil off Amazon anywhere from $15 to $30.
  3. If I'm replacing the "driver's side" coil, should I go ahead and replace the other coil as well?
I have short videos of it missing and how it sounds with the coil unplugged if that will help.

Thank you for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is just my opinion, but before I would start replacing parts, I would do some more testing to see if I could nail down the cause. I’m not confident that the coil is your problem, because when you reattached the coil wire, problem returns, which to me says the coil is working. What happens when you disconnect the other side? Does the poor running change if you try choking the engine a little? I’m thinking you must rule out fuel problems before you proceed. Please supply us with the engine numbers so we can have a better picture of what you have.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not real sure with this motor but can you swap coils from side to side? That would prove the coil issue. Might also try putting the choke on some when it starts sputtering, see if that smoothes it out, might point to carburetion rather than ignition.

tluxtele

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was going to check pulling the other coil just for the fun of it. I'll go ahead and do that now. I'll also check the choke idea.

What do you mean by engine numbers?

tluxtele

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. I pulled the coil wire off of the "passenger's side" plug and it smoothed out like pulling the driver's side did. I didn't swap the coils. I can do that if y'all think I need to.

I also experimented with the choke. This seemed to make a difference. When the choke was fully depressed (where it is when I normally run it) it was sputtering pretty good. When I pulled the choke almost to the point that it would start kicking out black smoke, it would run much smoothers with the occasional "quiet" sputter. The sort that I would associate with a v-twin and wouldn't have thought anything about.

So is this fuel related and not coil related? If so, what am I looking at doing?

ETA: Btw, thanks you two for being so quick with replies to help. Really appreciate it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I was going to check pulling the other coil just for the fun of it. I'll go ahead and do that now. I'll also check the choke idea.

What do you mean by engine numbers?
On mowers the engine is normally considered a separate item than the mower. If a Briggs Intek style engine the numbers will be stamped into the valve cover without the fuel pump above it. It a Briggs Vanguard it could be a metal tag either riveted to the blower housing or on a tag in the area of the oil filter. If a Kohler engine than there should be a sticker on the blower housing which may or may not be readable.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull a plug lead off and hold it approx 1/4" from the head and crank the engine. If you get a blue spark that jumps a 1/4" gap the coil is fine. Check both sides. If both coils pass you don't have a ignition problem. You have a fuel problem. Most likely you need to clean and rebuild the carb and see what happens. Any time you close the choke and it runs better you have a fuel problem.

tluxtele

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dealing with off and on rain because of the coming hurricane. I will check for the engine number and check both coils as you've suggested to rule them out.

Again, thank y'all. Very helpful forum.

tluxtele

Forum Newbie
Threads
On mowers the engine is normally considered a separate item than the mower. If a Briggs Intek style engine the numbers will be stamped into the valve cover without the fuel pump above it. It a Briggs Vanguard it could be a metal tag either riveted to the blower housing or on a tag in the area of the oil filter. If a Kohler engine than there should be a sticker on the blower housing which may or may not be readable.
Had a little break and went out for a quick look. Looks like it's a Briggs Intek. There were two numbers on the valve cover.
CODE 071005YG - was stamped into the valve cover.
445677 0827-E1 - looked to be on a sticker just above the stamped number.

Since you said stamped I'm thinking you want the first one, but here's both just in case.

keakar

Threads
Had a little break and went out for a quick look. Looks like it's a Briggs Intek. There were two numbers on the valve cover.
CODE 071005YG - was stamped into the valve cover.
445677 0827-E1 - looked to be on a sticker just above the stamped number.

Since you said stamped I'm thinking you want the first one, but here's both just in case.
445677 0827-E1 is the engine model number
445677 is the engine number and im not really sure but i "think" the following numbers after it refer to variations of style differences and date it was built, but they are used to help identify the engine for finding the right parts