Export thread

DLT3000 w/B&S 446777 0246 E1 Intek V-Twin - Intermittent rough running

M

mtkeg

The lawn mower is about 15 yrs old and all I've done to the engine up to now is oil and oil/air filter changes mainly because that is about all I know how to do. Recently, It just started to run rough intermittently. It runs fine for a while then starts running as though the choke is out (RPMS drop and spews black smoke) for a few seconds then runs ok again for a little while. I replaced the plugs and that didn't resolve the issue at all so need to know what the next steps would be. I've never been a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but have recently successfully rebuilt the carb on my rototiller and pretty much a total rebuild on my Stihl chainsaw. So go easy on me with tech talk. Thanks:smile:

M

mechanic mark

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n...nemanuals.html?searchrequested=446777-0246-e1

carburetor rebuild, you will need your code date number from engine for correct kit plus gasket kit, see parts manual

M

mtkeg

Ordered the kit and removed the carb. The carb looks clean but I'll post back after the rebuild.

M

mtkeg

finished the carb rebuild and runs great. Thanks!!

M

mtkeg

Well, it runs great in that it no longer runs rough and no longer spews black smoke. But it doesn't idle down like it used to. RPMS drop a little when I throttle down but still remain quite high. What might I have screwed up during the rebuild?

M

mechanic mark

Well, it runs great in that it no longer runs rough and no longer spews black smoke. But it doesn't idle down like it used to. RPMS drop a little when I throttle down but still remain quite high. What might I have screwed up during the rebuild?

pick up a spray can of lubricating oil & lube all linkages

M

mtkeg

I manually throttled up and down using the linkage and it now works fine. Must have been bound up.