Dixon 4223 has about had it

lonestarjeff

Threads
I bought this mower new back in the late '90s for our 2+ acres around the farmhouse. It has the old Z-drive mechanical trans in it & a 14hp Briggs Vanguard. Gone through many blades, filters, & belts over the years, but never had cause to spend much on it until the last 5 years or so. Replaced the cups & cones on the Z-drive about 3 years ago, the small drive sprockets about 5 years ago. The Briggs compression relief stopped working reliably a little before that, but I could usually coax it around. Now I have to pull the engine around w/ a wrench & prime it to kick it off.

It's been a great mower for me, but it's to the point something has to be done just about every year. I'm thinking it's time to replace it...or, I'm just itching to buy something newer. :laughing:

Been looking for a week or so & discovered Dixon is no longer around, also hydrostatic transmissions seem to be the order of the day rather than mechanical drive. From my reading, so far, Briggs engines are not as reliable as they once were??

Jeff

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dixon were bought buy Husqvarna a few years ago.
I used to be a dealer until they were sold but i think they are still on the go Dixon - Cutting hours into minutes.®

The mechanical drive was good in its day but hydrostatic is the way to go.
Its faster, responsive and more reliable.
As for the engine most Manufacturers have good and nots so good engines and depends on what you want to pay.

Briggs still make the best Vanguard series but Intek not as good.
Kohler make the Command but the Courage not as good.
Kawasaki the same.

The Dixon Ram series or Dixon Speed Series are a good level of ZTR.
You could also try Toro or Snapper.

lonestarjeff

Threads
Dixon were bought buy Husqvarna a few years ago.....

That's interesting. I've looked at Troybilt, Landpride, Toro, Husky, Kubota, Exmark, & BigDog. Those last 3 are out of sight & of the 1st four I kept coming back to Husky. I've narrowed my search to Toro & Husky for sure....seem to get the most bang for the buck in a mid-grade mower. I have a Husky chainsaw that I really like, but I'm trying not to let it sway me on the mower choice. :tongue:

Jeff

brodave

Threads
I bought this mower new back in the late '90s for our 2+ acres around the farmhouse. It has the old Z-drive mechanical trans in it & a 14hp Briggs Vanguard. Gone through many blades, filters, & belts over the years, but never had cause to spend much on it until the last 5 years or so. Replaced the cups & cones on the Z-drive about 3 years ago, the small drive sprockets about 5 years ago. The Briggs compression relief stopped working reliably a little before that, but I could usually coax it around. Now I have to pull the engine around w/ a wrench & prime it to kick it off.

It's been a great mower for me, but it's to the point something has to be done just about every year. I'm thinking it's time to replace it...or, I'm just itching to buy something newer. :laughing:

Been looking for a week or so & discovered Dixon is no longer around, also hydrostatic transmissions seem to be the order of the day rather than mechanical drive. From my reading, so far, Briggs engines are not as reliable as they once were??

Jeff

Hi, brodave here in Tx also. I have 3 (running)older Dixons like yours. If you want to get rid yours, I might be interested if you're not to far away. I'm in Newton. I'm retired USN and just tinkering for fun. LORD bless-brodave

lonestarjeff

Threads
Hi, brodave here in Tx also. I have 3 (running)older Dixons like yours. If you want to get rid yours, I might be interested if you're not to far away. I'm in Newton. I'm retired USN and just tinkering for fun. LORD bless-brodave

I will keep you in mind, Dave, but I see you're WAY down there near Beaumont. We're way up here near the Red River outside of Paris. Which Dixon models do you have?

Jeff

brodave

Threads
I will keep you in mind, Dave, but I see you're WAY down there near Beaumont. We're way up here near the Red River outside of Paris. Which Dixon models do you have?

Jeff

Thanks for quick answer Jeff. You are far away, but never know what might transpire!
I've a 2002 ZTR 3014 36", 1994 ZTR 2301 30", & 1992 ZTR 429 42" all working. Have 2 other 30" that need fixin' up.
Enjoy the tinkering, and parts are available if you need or decide to tinker with yours. I'll send you link to company I use if you like.
LORD bless, brodave