(DISREGARD) LTX1046KW tranny blown?

Radarcontact

Forum Newbie
Threads
DISREGARD THIS POST, was just a drive belt, but belt looked good at first inspection.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ disregard ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Used the mower to go VERY slowly around the yard while hand spraying for mole crickets. After about an hour and a half or so, the mower stopped, smoke drifted out from under the motor, and now the “go pedal“ feels like it’s not connected to anything… very loose and doesn’t engage anything.
I’m pretty good with the motor stuff, but know nothing about the drive train.

Did I kill it with the slo mo op?

// Radar //

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can long, slow operation kill a tranny? Yes it could, but I doubt it. Before I would say you have a major problem, I would check the simple things first, like the drive belt. When was it last changed, over 3 years ago? If so time to do so. Before buying a new one, remove the deck and crawl underneath. Check the belt tension, look at the condition of the belt, look at the condition of the two idler pulleys and check to see if the idler pulley tension arm has full travel, to keep the belt tight. If you feel everything looks good and the belt is old, replace it. Also replace both pulleys if questionable.

Radarcontact

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can long, slow operation kill a tranny? Yes it could, but I doubt it. Before I would say you have a major problem, I would check the simple things first, like the drive belt. When was it last changed, over 3 years ago? If so time to do so. Before buying a new one, remove the deck and crawl underneath. Check the belt tension, look at the condition of the belt, look at the condition of the two idler pulleys and check to see if the idler pulley tension arm has full travel, to keep the belt tight. If you feel everything looks good and the belt is old, replace it. Also replace both pulleys if questionable.
Lol, yes… did exactly as you said. Drive belt. Thanks. I should have looked closer before posting.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear you’re back in business, always say ”use the KISS method first.”

Radarcontact

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad to hear you’re back in business, always say ”use the KISS method first.”
Yep, I (usually) know better. It was the smoke that threw me off, I think. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯