Engine Disappointed in Hydrostatic Drive Performance--is this normal?

gliebisch

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Disappointed in Hydrostatic Drive Performance--is this normal?
I have a Craftsman Rear Engine Rider 13.5 HP Model 536.270320. I am not a big fan of this mower and would not buy again. But it is the first mower I've owned with Hydrostatic Drive. For a long time, I had preferred 'shift and clutch', and my recent experience with this mower confirms why. What I observe is that when going uphill, the hydrostatic lever gradually "creeps" to a slower speed. In fact, i have to hold one hand on that lever all the time to keep at a constant speed. Downhill or level ground does no seem to be a problem. Is this normal for all hydrostatic drives? Mechanically, I can understand why it does it, because the engine has less load on it when in "lower' gear. There is a "tightening" adjustment that I can make that makes the lever harder to move. This seems to fix it for about one mowing cycle, then back to the same problem. Do all hydros do this? I would like to get rid of this mower soon and have a strong inclination to go back to 'shift and clutch'.

GaryL

D

DSepe

R.I.P to all shift mowers. I had a hydrostatic Deutz-Allis that lasted 26 years before the clutch went. Never had any problems you described. Shift and clutch is gone for a good reason.

gfp55

Threads
R.I.P to all shift mowers. I had a hydrostatic Deutz-Allis that lasted 26 years before the clutch went. Never had any problems you described. Shift and clutch is gone for a good reason.

I have a 1973 gear drive trans and a 1986 gear drive trans. The 86 has 1179 hour on the clock. I pull 11' long trailer full of firewood out of the woods, cuts 4 acres+ every week and plows snow/blows snow every winter. Driveway is 700+ feet plus snowblows 4 miles around my fences. Never had any troubles at all. I have a I think a 1988 Deutz-Allis out back hydro shot the rest of the tractor is good, good engine 14 hp B/S twin.View attachment 21972View attachment 21973 I'm not a hydro fan...

D

DSepe

I have a 1973 gear drive trans and a 1986 gear drive trans. The 86 has 1179 hour on the clock. I pull 11' long trailer full of firewood out of the woods, cuts 4 acres+ every week and plows snow/blows snow every winter. Driveway is 700+ feet plus snowblows 4 miles around my fences. Never had any troubles at all. I have a I think a 1988 Deutz-Allis out back hydro shot the rest of the tractor is good, good engine 14 hp B/S twin....

I have the Deutz if you still want the hydro lol. The clutch went, engine and hydro is still good. Anyways in your situation I think a gear drive is suitable. I was thinking more just cutting grass but you made good points.

gliebisch

Forum Newbie
Threads

gfp55

Threads
Thanks for the offer but I have no need for it. If you want my D-A its just rusting there.