Difficult Shifting Peerless Transaxle

kjonxx

Threads
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a manual 6 speed Peerless transaxle model 930-057A. It shifts normally until I have cut a few minutes and I guess the drive mechanism is warmed up, then I have to hit the shifter hard to make it change gears and sometimes that doesn't work. If I turn off the engine, then it will shift more easily but still not as easy as when cold. I suspected that the clutch pedal wasn't releasing completely and the drive belt was still moving, but I tested that repeatedly with my wife pressing the pedal so I could observe the belt and it is stopping. This is baffling to me. Has anyone had hard shifting problems with this type of transmission and successfully identified and corrected the problem?
The 2 shift fingers in transmission are bad

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well that explains it, could be a lot worse..

BMS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a manual 6 speed Peerless transaxle model 930-057A. It shifts normally until I have cut a few minutes and I guess the drive mechanism is warmed up, then I have to hit the shifter hard to make it change gears and sometimes that doesn't work. If I turn off the engine, then it will shift more easily but still not as easy as when cold. I suspected that the clutch pedal wasn't releasing completely and the drive belt was still moving, but I tested that repeatedly with my wife pressing the pedal so I could observe the belt and it is stopping. This is baffling to me. Has anyone had hard shifting problems with this type of transmission and successfully identified and corrected the problem?
Some times the brake pins hang up with rust, did you check them? If the brake is dragging it will shift very hard!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good point.