Differences between cheap and expensive brands

MowerMike

Threads
This video explains why some brands are more expensive than others. Half crankshaft engines are rated for far fewer hours of operation than full crankshaft engines. The sad thing is that some low quality brands like Ryobi are priced almost as high as much better brands like Echo.

Although the narrator states that the engine crankshaft type cannot be seen externally, you can tell from the location of the starter cord. If it's on the side of the engine and the recoil housing is visible, then the engine has a full crankshaft with bearing support on both sides. If the starter cord is in the middle and the recoil mechanism is not visible, then it has a half crankshaft. If you ever have a problem with the cord or recoil mechanism on a half crankshaft engine, then it's pretty much unfixable and ready for the trash.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you ever have a problem with the cord or recoil mechanism on a half crankshaft engine, then it's pretty much unfixable and ready for the trash.

I wouldnt say its unfixable but would cost more money to put it right.
Some brands have 4 bolts and off it comes. Other brands you have to dismantle the whole engine.
It can take longer on some of the cheap brands so more labour cost.
Putting a half crank in reduces cost and sometimes weight.

MowerMike

Threads
I wouldnt say its unfixable but would cost more money to put it right.
Some brands have 4 bolts and off it comes. Other brands you have to dismantle the whole engine.
It can take longer on some of the cheap brands so more labour cost.
Putting a half crank in reduces cost and sometimes weight.

I don't know what your labor costs are in Scotland, but in the USA such a repair would most likely exceed the purchase price of the tool.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes sometimes product can be cheaper to buy than to repair but over here by the time we put import tax ,vat and then mark up, a cheap strimmer then becomes expensive to buy.

I remember being in florida in the 90's and a McCulloch bent shaft strimmer was $40.00 but over here it was $150.00.

Then British people think if it has an engine then it should last for 10000 years.:laughing: