Deere Z355R choke linkage

nealinhudson

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Deere Z355R (B&S v-twin JBSXS.7242VE) has been hard to start when cold, pretty much ever since I've had it (3 years). While under warranty, I took it to the dealer for a couple of complaints, including the hard-starting. They told me there was a part of the linkage for the choke that had come disconnected. However, after a couple of months I started having trouble starting it again. I've now pulled off the shrouds to the point where I can see what's going on and found the "thermostat" (Deere's term) lever was not actuating the choke linkage - completely disconnected. This is a pretty mickey-mouse set up from the get-go IMO, as the lever just sits under a plastic elbow on the linkage and is supposed to slowly move down as the engine warms up; it has a thermostatic spring inside like old automatic chokes on cars. However, when I put it back the way it's (apparently) supposed to be, the engine starts easily but the thermostat doesn't allow the choke to open up, even partially. I've heated the thermostat with a hair dryer but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the arm/lever.

So does anyone have any experience with this specific auto choke? Is the thermostat bad, do I have the linkage wrong, or are these just problematic POS's? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

IMG_20210114_133205586R.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then emmision code isnt going to help but that mower does have one three versions of the Briggs 44N677.

Last edited: