Deere GT262 w/ Kawasaki FC540V-JS00. Bypassed igniton switch and now blowing ignition coils

KyleM81

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Deere GT262 w/ Kawasaki FC540V-JS00. Bypassed igniton switch and now blowing ignition coils
No, the coil number would not change. The Kawasaki coil should show 21121-2085 on it. Does it?
If you disconnect the ground wire and there is still no spark then it can only be a failed coil or the magnetism of the magnet on the flywheel is too weak or the air gap is too large. The air gap is .012”, cold. A business card is not the proper way to set air gap. It can work, but business cards come in different thicknesses. If the thickness is within spec, your fine. I think a standard card is .014”. Engine starts fine cold. But when everything warms up and expands, you may be getting more clearance. (A hot engine actually gets hotter for a period once you shut it down) See if you can tighten the air gap, use an actual feeler gauge if possible. Then retest.
It wont restart at all until i replace the coil. This has happened twice so far. It runs fine when the coil is first installed, but as soon as I turn it off the coil goes bad.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Deere GT262 w/ Kawasaki FC540V-JS00. Bypassed igniton switch and now blowing ignition coils
Actually the Kawasaki PN 21121-2085 is a lower cost item when compared to markup JD AM121810.

Another option is to install a new coil and leave the wire disconnected. The engine will still shut down provide the carburetor fuel solenoid is still intact.

To me it sounds like the ignition is 12v impulse to the coil on shut down shorting out the electronics.

txmowman

Threads
@StarTech, true statement on the green mark up.

boatmoter

Threads
Yes we got it from the John Deere dealer. AM121810. I used a business card to set the gap
a old school trick, you gotta love that. the ol 0.25 business card,done that many times

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you get this running?