Deere D170 Won't Start

She_Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Worked fine, went to use it a week later and no spark at all.
Blades are not engaged.
Went and bought a new battery - still nothing which I didn't figure it would necessarily be the problem.
I engaged the bladed (pulled the button up) and I'll be darned if I didn't at least get a "click" noise :)
With the blades disengaged, there is NOTHING. No spark, no turnover, no SOUND. Nothing.
Checked both spark plugs. They seem fine.
I do see a fuse in front of the battery which seems fine as well.
Any help appreciated - I need this machine to last till next spring when I can buy something new!

D

Deleted member 97405

Your post was a little confusing at first when you said you have no spark. It looks like your engine won't crank. There is a difference, so hopefully I'm understanding your issue. My first suspicion is that your starter solenoid has gone bad, but you need to do a voltage test first. The click you heard was the PTO clutch engaging. You solenoid has 4 wires on it. The positive battery cable attaches to one side, and the starter cable attaches to the other side. The smaller wires are a ground wire and power wire. We're going to be testing the power wire. It may be red or purple. With the keyswitch in the 'start' position, you should have voltage at that wire. If you do, your solenoid is bad. If you don't, there is a problem in your starting safety circuit. It could be a connector or switch problem, but let's first see whether you have voltage to the solenoid.