Damper cylinder

Lonestar

Threads
Cub Cadet model GT 2544. About 15 years old. The damper cylinder broke and created an issue where the tractor would barely move when in reverse. It also became very difficult to activate the brake. I replaced with a non-OEM third party cylinder and saw very little improvement. If the cylinder is completely removed from the tractor, reverse works well and brake is easy to engage by foot.

Naturally without the cylinder the tractor becomes very sensitive when going into "forward" and when letting off of the gas pedal. I'm sure the function of the cylinder is to buffer the transmission.

My question is this: The tractor is about at the end of it's life and I'm trying not to spend any more on parts than necessary. If I am very careful in starting and stoping, avoiding any sudden jerks, will it quickly harm the transmission by leaving the cylinder off? I don't do any "back and forward" type mowing. I just ease it into "forward" with the gas pedal and mow in a forward direction at a fairly slow pace.