D105 Belt slipping?

dvmullins

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere D105 that seems to have a belt slipping but I'm not sure where to go with it at this point. When the blades are engaged they spin but begin to slow down and speed up randomly, to the point that the mower will idle and die. I've replaced both the deck belt and transmission belt that runs to the front of the machine. As far as I can tell all the bearings seem to be fine as well. Any ideas? Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have a John Deere D105 that seems to have a belt slipping but I'm not sure where to go with it at this point. When the blades are engaged they spin but begin to slow down and speed up randomly, to the point that the mower will idle and die. I've replaced both the deck belt and transmission belt that runs to the front of the machine. As far as I can tell all the bearings seem to be fine as well. Any ideas? Thanks.
almost Sounds kind of like an engine issue to me.... Do the engine RPM's fluctuate too?

Its Me

Threads
do you have the right belts, remove them, spin each Idler to see if they growl and the same with the spindle bearings, start simple if you say that the motor runs good if not sure that would be the time to test the engine to see how it runs.

dvmullins

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the right belts but noticed some extreme wear on the spindle pulley covers. Took those off and they sound like sand is in them so I've got some spindles on the way.

Its Me

Threads
deal with those idlers and on the spindle shafts you can change the bearing don't have to remove them from the deck the bolts will probably break off in the housing, if you don't deal with that you will be out another belt and then have idler and spindle problems, if you can hear that noise at just turning it by had think of what is going on at 15,0000 RPM's friction will be your enemy.