D100 (maintenance and repairs)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since 10W-30 and SAE 30 have the same viscosity grade at operating temperature, so there won't be any problems. The 10W-30 is a better oil since I do my last mowing in November when the temperatures are much cooler. I want the cold weather protection as well as the warm weather protection.
Don't know where you are but it's still 107 here in Oklahoma daliy. For my area, 10w-30 is a joke.

That is a 10 grade oil, let it sink in, all doctored up, to play like a 30w at 212F. Straight SAE 30w is just that, a 30 grade oil. Much thicker and way less prone to shearing down.

So you are telling us you mow up in the clouds in November? Even in Oklahoma we have snow around then. Looks like you would have snow around September. Pictures might be deceiving. ??

biodiesel

Threads
For my area, 10w-30 is a joke.

That is a 10 grade oil, let it sink in, all doctored up, to play like a 30w at 212F. Straight SAE 30w is just that, a 30 grade oil. Much thicker and way less prone to shearing down.

Actually, the 10W30 is a 30 weight. The 10 is the winter weight. In warm temperatures, the 10W-30 and 30 weight perform the same at operating temps. Here's a good read for you -----> https://lawnmowerguru.com/sae-30-vs-10w30/

biodiesel

Threads
So you are telling us you mow up in the clouds in November? Even in Oklahoma we have snow around then. Looks like you would have snow around September. Pictures might be deceiving. ??

The higher elevations get snow in September. We don't see snow at my elevation until October. We typically start mowing in October and finish in November. The snow doesn't stay on the ground for long during those months.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually, the 10W30 is a 30 weight. The 10 is the winter weight. In warm temperatures, the 10W-30 and 30 weight perform the same at operating temps. Here's a good read for you -----> https://lawnmowerguru.com/sae-30-vs-10w30/
Again a 10w-30 is not the same, at my house, as SAE 30w. We have over 100 degree temps again like today. A 10w-30 will shear down fast in my weather conditions. All engine manuals say to watch out for oil consumption using multi-grade oils.

Like this one snagged off the "innerscreen".

1660031727154.png

Why not use a 0w-30w then? More "protection" right in colder weather? LOL.

biodiesel

Threads
Again a 10w-30 is not the same, at my house, as SAE 30w. We have over 100 degree temps again like today. A 10w-30 will shear down fast in my weather conditions. All engine manuals say to watch out for oil consumption using multi-grade oils.

A good quality oil like Amsoil isn't going to shear. The Amsoil 10W-30 Small Engine Oil reduced oil consumption 61% in lab testing compared to three leading 10W-30/SAE 30 motor oils.

Carl.Cook

Threads
Since 10W-30 and SAE 30 have the same viscosity grade at operating temperature, so there won't be any problems. The 10W-30 is a better oil since I do my last mowing in November when the temperatures are much cooler. I want the cold weather protection as well as the warm weather protection.
Do you store your mower inside? If so, there should reason to use a multi-viscosity oil as viscosity should be selected on operating temperature and not outside air temperature. Being 70 years old I can remember when 10W-30 was rarely used and hard to find. The EPA forced manufacturers to recommend low viscosity oils to slightly improve fuel millage. When low viscosity oils became the EPA forced norm, early valvetrain failure also became common. Vehicles have been redesigned to better handle low viscosity oils. Now the EPA has added small engines to their smog control regs forcing manufacturers to recommend low viscosity oils. Several on this site have commented on the high number of valvetrain failures and that small engines are still built to the old standards to save the cost updating. The Kawasaki FX850V manual does not recommend 10W-30 above 80F, and they make a note that the higher viscosity 20W-50 may reduce oil consumption (engine failure) in higher ambient temperatures. Their chart meets EPA standards but their note is a hint to operators. Good luck and you have a beautiful yard!

Carl.Cook

Threads
I started with 10W-30 in my truck and switched to 30W as recommended by a friend who helped me replace worn rocker arms and push rods. With engine at operating temperature 30W had higher oil pressure at idle than 10W-30. Also 10W30 was only supplying a mist of oil to rocker arms at idle, while 30W would squirt a stream of oil as far as the fender at idle. There is a difference.

biodiesel

Threads
I started with 10W-30 in my truck and switched to 30W as recommended by a friend who helped me replace worn rocker arms and push rods. With engine at operating temperature 30W had higher oil pressure at idle than 10W-30. Also 10W30 was only supplying a mist of oil to rocker arms at idle, while 30W would squirt a stream of oil as far as the fender at idle. There is a difference.

Yes, application matters. Amsoil only recommends an oil if it meets and exceeds the manufactures specifications. I pull oil samples to analysis the condition of the oil. This way I can monitor if there's something going on with the engine (fuel dilution, contamination, oxidation, etc.).

biodiesel

Threads
Do you store your mower inside?

The mower is stored inside a non-insulated shed. So, if the temperatures is 20*F outside, the inside of the shed is most likely also 20*F. Feel free to look over the 10w-30 spec sheet. These oils replace the older SAE 30 oils. https://syntheticoilpros.com/shop/small-engine-oil/amsoil-10w-30-small-engine-oil/

you have a beautiful yard!

Thank you. We've worked hard on the property and continue to work on it. It's no really a yard, per se, but it's our property around where we're building. We'll most likely have a nice lawn inside a walled yard.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The mower is stored inside a non-insulated shed. So, if the temperatures is 20*F outside, the inside of the shed is most likely also 20*F. Feel free to look over the 10w-30 spec sheet. These oils replace the older SAE 30 oils. https://syntheticoilpros.com/shop/small-engine-oil/amsoil-10w-30-small-engine-oil/
Brought to you by Amsoil. You must be some Amsoil reseller. You seem to quote their fabulous wonder literature just fine.

No sale over here with your over priced mower oil. Walmart SAE 30w does me just fine.