Engine CV740-0023 needs a replacement

Streak

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK---this is my first time in a forum so I will try to be right to the point.
I have a GTH2754 2005 Model Year that has a CV740-0023 Kohler engine that I cannot get to stop using oil and fouling the plug on the right hand side (as you are viewing from the seat).

I want to replace it with a Briggs and Stratton 30 HP. What problems can I expect in the change out?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First make sure the crankshaft is the same diameter and length before proceeding. then they other things that could pop up would be differences in exhaust, differences in wiring, may have to add a starter solenoid to the wiring harness, if the solenoid is not separate from the starter on the Kohler that you are replacing.

Streak

Forum Newbie
Threads
First make sure the crankshaft is the same diameter and length before proceeding. then they other things that could pop up would be differences in exhaust, differences in wiring, may have to add a starter solenoid to the wiring harness, if the solenoid is not separate from the starter on the Kohler that you are replacing.

I am looking at a 49M977-1036-G5 Briggs 1-1/8" x 4-5/16" --I am pretty sure it is the right one, but I don't know about the starter solenoid, I suspect I will have to mount one somewhere.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Info about the Briggs 49M977-1036G5 engine.
I installed this same engine on my Scag ZTR last March, nice engine. but with a GT, you need to know the following:
This engine is taller due to the Cyclonic Air Filtration System, in two ways, the blower housing is about 2" taller and the air filter housing is about 3-4" above the blower housing, so make sure there is enough room under the tractor hood to accommodate the added height. You will also need a Briggs muffler. Electrically, there are the same inputs/outputs as the Kohler, just different connector plugs, you will need to identify them and connect accordingly. You will need a separate engine start solenoid. There is also the possibility that the engine mounting holes in the tractor may not be the same holes for mounting the Briggs engine. Some tractor manufacturers drill mount holes for different engine options and your tractor may already have the different hole patterns.
There is a trend with newer engines where the amount of throw for both the throttle and choke is less than older engines. On my Scag ZTR, I installed a stop plate on the throttle lever on the idle side, and I adjusted the choke so I get full choke at about 2/3rds of the lever movement and full open at the other end of the lever travel.
If your Kohler has a 1 1/8" X 4 5/16" crankshaft, then the drive belt pulley and the clutch should mount directly onto the Briggs engine with no V belt or clutch anti-rotation stop problems.
You do need to know exactly what the Kohler crankshaft dimensions are before you order and new engine.
Mad Mackie in snow bound CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some pics of my repower, however on a ZTR.
Mad Mackie in CT

Attachments

• P3270001.JPG
    P3270001.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P3270002.JPG
    P3270002.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P3260008.JPG
    P3260008.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 15

Streak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Info about the Briggs 49M977-1036G5 engine.
I installed this same engine on my Scag ZTR last March, nice engine. but with a GT, you need to know the following:
This engine is taller due to the Cyclonic Air Filtration System, in two ways, the blower housing is about 2" taller and the air filter housing is about 3-4" above the blower housing, so make sure there is enough room under the tractor hood to accommodate the added height. You will also need a Briggs muffler. Electrically, there are the same inputs/outputs as the Kohler, just different connector plugs, you will need to identify them and connect accordingly. You will need a separate engine start solenoid. There is also the possibility that the engine mounting holes in the tractor may not be the same holes for mounting the Briggs engine. Some tractor manufacturers drill mount holes for different engine options and your tractor may already have the different hole patterns.
There is a trend with newer engines where the amount of throw for both the throttle and choke is less than older engines. On my Scag ZTR, I installed a stop plate on the throttle lever on the idle side, and I adjusted the choke so I get full choke at about 2/3rds of the lever movement and full open at the other end of the lever travel.
If your Kohler has a 1 1/8" X 4 5/16" crankshaft, then the drive belt pulley and the clutch should mount directly onto the Briggs engine with no V belt or clutch anti-rotation stop problems.
You do need to know exactly what the Kohler crankshaft dimensions are before you order and new engine.
Mad Mackie in snow bound CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Thanks for the good information--I will check on the height and remember the Throttle and Choke info if I do the install. I think the crank dimensions are good since I had the seller do a cross-check. I will order the solenoid, muffler and connectors at the time of the purchase of whatever engine I end up with. Maybe I'll put a hood scoop on the hood to make room for the filter...!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I neglected to mention that my Scag repower was from a Briggs 44P777 to the 49M977 which basically was a direct change, same muffler, same electrical connections and fuel.
Over the years I have done many repowers on various types of equipment, mowers, boats, airplanes to name a few!!!
I enjoy the challenge!!
It just stopped snowing, so guess what I gotta do!!!! And with my repowered Ingersoll GT!!!
Later
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK---this is my first time in a forum so I will try to be right to the point.
I have a GTH2754 2005 Model Year that has a CV740-0023 Kohler engine that I cannot get to stop using oil and fouling the plug on the right hand side (as you are viewing from the seat).

I want to replace it with a Briggs and Stratton 30 HP. What problems can I expect in the change out?

What have you tried to fix this engine?

chukstvns

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the part number for the starter solenoid that has to be added?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Starter solenoids are sort of a generic item. Methods of mounting, grounding thru the base or separately thru a ground wire and amperage ratings are some variables in solenoid types. If you have a power equipment dealer nearby, they can help you find what you may need.
Mad Mackie in CT