Cub transmission swap?

hatenmycub

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a Cub 1050 with 40 hours on it. Apparently the transmission is gone. :mad: I don't plan on paying the $700 for a replacement Cub trans. I could be in the same shape next summer. Any thoughts on what I could do with this lawnmower? Can you install (or rig) a tranny from a different brand in this mower? Thanks for the input!

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Cub Cadet Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

Canada_CT230

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a Cub 1050 with 40 hours on it. Apparently the transmission is gone. :mad: I don't plan on paying the $700 for a replacement Cub trans. I could be in the same shape next summer. Any thoughts on what I could do with this lawnmower? Can you install (or rig) a tranny from a different brand in this mower? Thanks for the input!

I have a 2007 Cub Cadet i1050 mower that I purchased in 2008. I already had it in for a warranty swap for one of the hydro gear transmissions last year (2010). Now this week I noticed the weak steering and slower top end speed again.

I jacked it up on the rear end and can notice the difference in the LH and RH trannies. The LH is very slow and sluggish or when turning, no power. I checked the fluid levels, drive belt tensions and linkages. Nothing out of the ordinary. Also checked the bypass valve for correct operation. My conclusion...dying tranny.

Cub Cadets prices is $977.00.

I purchased the same thing at TurfTractor, Clutches, Tires, Attachments, Parts and Accessories FAST SHIPPING this morning for $443.00. You might want to check there for a replacement.

I will be taking my old one apart this winter for scientific reasons and maybe it can be repaired. I have the shop manuals for the i1050 and the hydro gear trannies.

originalswampfox

Threads
On the 1050 the each trans. use 2 positive displacement pumps, one is used as a pump and the other as a motor. These pumps can move the fluid in either direction. It is changed moving a swisher plate. Point is they are complicated and delicate. They have a filter shown in the parts manual. Not sure if it is replaceable or not, but it would be worth a shot if it was.

Alasdair

Threads
Hi there,
those hydrostatic transmissions tend to destroy themselves
when they fail, the swash plate does an arduous job, changing
angle as the speed is increased to increase displacement of
the pump pistons and so increase speed, problem is a little chip
or contaminant, or overheated oil can cause the plate to 'gall'
and send metal particles through the pistons of both pump and
motor, scoring out the bores and allowing leak through. The
result is progressively less drive power, more noise and sluggish
braking. At that point parts can't fix scoring in bores, and rebuilds
never last as long as new trannies, and they must be surgically
clean at reassembly. I'd just ditch and replace. My GT2144 has a
Chinese cast iron trans with a proper spin on filter, this sold me
on the purchase, I've never trusted cheapo peerless transmissions
after my last mower, the Chinese stuff is built for global market
and appears to be properly designed for long life. Fingers crossed..