Cub Cadet variable speed drive belt slipping (engine side)

SleeperMower

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet variable speed drive belt slipping (engine side)
Its a 2010 Cub Cadet LTX1040 with the variable speed drive.

The old lower belt (goes to engine pulley) was so worn it couldn't make it up a hill. Today I installed a cheap aftermarket replacement belt.

Now, the belt randomly slips when going slow/medium speed. Its also very jerky when the belt does catch. For example, I can slowly depress the pedal about halfway, and the mower slowly gets speeds up like normal. Then, with my foot still holding the pedal down halfway, the belt randomly starts slipping and the mower stops (even with the pedal down halfway). Then, I'll push the pedal to about 3/4 down, and the belt catches and it jerks real hard and starts moving again. I did confirm it is slipping on the engine pulley (it was smoking).

The mower will go full speed (pedal all the way down) just fine!!

Are these variable speed drives sensitive to not having a genuine replacement belt?

Also the belt is routed correctly!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet variable speed drive belt slipping (engine side)
Its a 2010 Cub Cadet LTX1040 with the variable speed drive.

The old lower belt (goes to engine pulley) was so worn it couldn't make it up a hill. Today I installed a cheap aftermarket replacement belt.

Now, the belt randomly slips when going slow/medium speed. Its also very jerky when the belt does catch. For example, I can slowly depress the pedal about halfway, and the mower slowly gets speeds up like normal. Then, with my foot still holding the pedal down halfway, the belt randomly starts slipping and the mower stops (even with the pedal down halfway). Then, I'll push the pedal to about 3/4 down, and the belt catches and it jerks real hard and starts moving again. I did confirm it is slipping on the engine pulley (it was smoking).

The mower will go full speed (pedal all the way down) just fine!!

Are these variable speed drives sensitive to not having a genuine replacement belt?

Also the belt is routed correctly!
Are these variable drive belts sensitive to not having OEM belts. And the big answer is YES. And then you need to change both belts as a set otherwise it will still continue to cause issues.