Cub Cadet/Kohler starting system/batteries

EricG1793

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004-built (purchased June '05) Cub Cadet LT1018 with an 18 HP Kohler Command engine. It's always seemed like a bit of a weak starter. For the past few years, at times, I'll turn the key, and the engine will lurch as the starter tries to turn, then after a second or two it starts turning the engine -- weakly.

It sounds like a weak battery, but the one it has now is only a couple years old, and this happens even with a new battery, after a few weeks. Plus the voltmeter is always just under 12 volts, like 11.7-11.9.

Meanwhile, my grandfather has a Craftsman with an 18 HP Briggs Intek that was new in 2007 and replaced the battery last year. That thing cranks very strongly and requires much less cranking time to start than my Cub.

Ideas for other parts in the electrical system to check besides the battery? Perhaps the starter itself? Is this a known issue with Cubs/Kohler Commands?

Carl in CT

Threads
I don't know what is causing your problem but it sounds like there is a bad connection or something that is causing your battery to drain. I had a mower with a 20hp Briggs that did that but it would charge when I was mowing. I went to the auto parts store and got a quick disconnect for the battery terminal. It took a little fiddling to get it attached to the negative battery terminal but it allowed me to quickly disconnect the battery when I was done mowing so it could not drain anymore while just sitting there. It's not really a proper fix but it was a cheap solution that worked OK for me. The tranny died before I ever got it fixed right. Good luck.

EricG1793

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info, Carl. I don't think the battery is discharging, assuming the 11.9-volt reading on the voltmeter is correct, but I'll keep that in mind.

jteuban

Threads
A new solenoid may be in order with new wire to/from starter and battery.would get the starter rebuilt if possible.

acbristol57

Threads
I have a 2004-built (purchased June '05) Cub Cadet LT1018 with an 18 HP Kohler Command engine. It's always seemed like a bit of a weak starter. For the past few years, at times, I'll turn the key, and the engine will lurch as the starter tries to turn, then after a second or two it starts turning the engine -- weakly.

It sounds like a weak battery, but the one it has now is only a couple years old, and this happens even with a new battery, after a few weeks. Plus the voltmeter is always just under 12 volts, like 11.7-11.9.

Meanwhile, my grandfather has a Craftsman with an 18 HP Briggs Intek that was new in 2007 and replaced the battery last year. That thing cranks very strongly and requires much less cranking time to start than my Cub.

Ideas for other parts in the electrical system to check besides the battery? Perhaps the starter itself? Is this a known issue with Cubs/Kohler Commands?

My 2009 Kohler never cranked as fast as I expected. After 4 years it would crank at all. A new starter for about $80 made all those issues go away. I think there were a bunch of questionable starters on these Kohlers.