Cub Cadet ES 760cc rear wheel drive

Tattoo you

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I'm a new member and have a question or two regarding the Cub Cadet 33" walk behind mower. It's the Es 760 cc. Can anyone tell me if both rear wheels have traction of their own. Do they both turn with power independently? In other words, if you jack the rear end of the mower off the ground and engage the gears, will both wheels turn on their own with equal power or does just one wheel do all the driving and the other just follows?
Thanks.

Tattoo you

Forum Newbie
Threads

logan01

Threads
Elevate the rear and spin a wheel. It'll either be a limited - slip style or open differential. If it's open, the opposing wheel rotates in the opposite direction when elevated and spun. I seriously doubt the other wheel is a dummy wheel and just along for the ride. And the possibility exists it's a true locker.

Tattoo you

Forum Newbie
Threads
Elevate the rear and spin a wheel. It'll either be a limited - slip style or open differential. If it's open, the opposing wheel rotates in the opposite direction when elevated and spun. I seriously doubt the other wheel is a dummy wheel and just along for the ride. And the possibility exists it's a true locker.

Thank you for your response. I have no idea what you meant but I did what you suggested and both wheels rotated in opposite directions. What does that mean?

logan01

Threads
It means you have an "open" differential, similar to a basic passenger car, which is good for making easy turns and maneuvering.

Tattoo you

Forum Newbie
Threads
It means you have an "open" differential, similar to a basic passenger car, which is good for making easy turns and maneuvering.

Thanks again. It makes sense.

Jeff1122

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a used one with 200 hours. Just used it on the hill and it pulls hard to the left when the slope is on the left and is fine when the slope is on the right. I picked up the back end and see only the right wheel is in gear and spinning. I am certain both wheels are supposed to be spinning. Cause? Easy fix?