Cub Cadet 1720 / Model 312

edbmoney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. Hoping someone might be able to help me out. My Cub Cadet 1720 no longer goes in reverse. I recognize it can't cut in reverse, which is fine. But, it no longer drives in reverse. It can only drive forward.

I'm not strong with this stuff, so forgive the ignorance. Attached is a pic of what appears to be a reservoir that sits on top of the transmission. Should the fluid be all the way to the top? If so, should I just purchase some hyrdo fluid / universal and fill it up?

I checked underneath the tractor and had someone move the gear lever / the arm seems in tact at the connection point under the tranny.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• hydro2..jpg
    hydro2..jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 3

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oil should be visible in the bottom of the cup, but not a lot more. From the color of the residue in the bottom, I wonder what the condition of the tranny is, because it looks dirty or burnt. May want to drain and refill while you are at it.

The type of oil used will vary with what brand and model of tranny is in the mower. most hydrogears use 20-50w but some call for 10w40. Other brands may vary so you will either need to consult the owners manual for your mower to find out what to use. or get us the model of the tranny so we can find what it actually calls for.

edbmoney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the fluid is very dirty / looks very dark grey / almost black.

I'll look for the tranny model.

Thanks for your help.