Cub Cadet 1050 PTO engagement issues

acbristol57

Threads
I have struggled with this over the past week. I tried to use the recommendation for installing a relay which was great except that according to other info on the internet ( and my experience) the hot lead on the relay (30) and (87A) which the instructions indicated as the switched output to the PTO clutch iwas not right in my experience. The 87 output seems to be the right connection to the pto clutch (hey it works for me).

I present this bit of stuff I found on another site.

-30 = constant [positive (+)] power (usually wired directly to car battery)
-85 = coil ground (wired to the negative (-) battery terminal or any grounded metal panel in the car)
-86 = coil power (wired to the control source. could be a switch, or it could be the car's IGN or ACC circuit.)
-87 = switched [positive (+)] power output. (when the relay coil is powered, lead/pin 87 is connected to lead/pin 30)
-87a = [on 5 lead/pin relays only] this lead/pin is connected to lead/pin 30 when the coil is NOT powered.

I found that 87A & 30 always activated the PTO without any activation of the PTO panel switch. I used the ground/negative pole of the battery to connect to pin 85.

So 86 is connected to the red lead out of the front panel PTO switch. This is the hot wire that is switched on when you engage the PTO.

Of course 85 was grounded ( I just hooked this up to the battery). Just connect it here or to a good ground anywhere.

I actually connected everything directly to the battery with a fused link on the positive side to pin 30.

So my issue was with the 87A pin that you find on 5 pin 12 volt relays.

I think this is a good thing to do on these mowers. My PTO connects fine now. I'll report on how this works out with some more use.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Cub Cadet forum. :smile: