Crooked steering wheel.

aarong24

Threads
Hey guys,
I recently inherited a 2005 craftsman 3000gt from an uncle who passed away. It has the 23 hp Kohler pro and runs and cuts beautifully. I already have a mower, so I will probably be selling it. The only issue is that when driving straight, the steering wheel is sideways, as in the craftsman logo is not right side up. How do you go about fixing that?
I've tried uploading photos, but cant get them compressed down small enough.

keakar

Threads
Hey guys,
I recently inherited a 2005 craftsman 3000gt from an uncle who passed away. It has the 23 hp Kohler pro and runs and cuts beautifully. I already have a mower, so I will probably be selling it. The only issue is that when driving straight, the steering wheel is sideways, as in the craftsman logo is not right side up. How do you go about fixing that?
I've tried uploading photos, but cant get them compressed down small enough.
craftsman is super easy, under the the steering wheel there are two little tabs you push to release the snap on cover, under it there is a nut and big washer to remove, then the steering wheel can simply be lifted up and turned until the notches line up so its straight again or close to it.

aarong24

Threads
craftsman is super easy, under the the steering wheel there are two little tabs you push to release the snap on cover, under it there is a nut and big washer to remove, then the steering wheel can simply be lifted up and turned until the notches line up so its straight again or close to it.
That's what I thought too. But there's a metal piece within the steering wheel that is notched the same as the shaft. I can't for the life of me get the thing out of the steering wheel or to turn so I can put it back on the shaft

keakar

Threads
That's what I thought too. But there's a metal piece within the steering wheel that is notched the same as the shaft. I can't for the life of me get the thing out of the steering wheel or to turn so I can put it back on the shaft
leave that extension alone, it just converts the spline shaft to the opposed D style extension for the plastic gear to sit on top of, then the wheel has the same notches so you can turn it about 1/4" at a time with each notch

this is the adapter that sits on the top end of the shaft for the wheel to sit on
1591480234887.png

you literally dont have to touch or take anything apart except for the cover and the bolt and washer under it 1591480383292.png