Craftsman YTS3000 Dies After Little Use

ndo6532

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Craftsman riding mower recently started having problems. It ran fine all last season (purchased used last September), however, the past 5 times I have mown, it will run fine for about 15-30 minutes, then will be starved for fuel. At startup of mowing there is fuel in the in line filter, however, when it dies, there is not. After letting it sit for about 20-30 minutes fuel seeps back into the filter and it will start again, but only so long as fuel remains in the filter. It has been dying multiple times per use, making it hard to get my large yard finished. I have a new in line filter I am planning to install to see if that could be the problem, but was wanting to get some opinions first. I have tried taking off the gas cap to make sure it's not vapor locked, however, that doesn't make a difference and it will not start up even then. Thanks!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post model number from under seat as well as engine manufacturer & all numbers from engine.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...=modelSearch&q=917289244&searchTerm=917289244

Overheating problem, see page 19 in operators manual. Also check oil & oil filter, air & fuel filters & spark plugs for replacement if you have not done so. Fresh fuel & a bottle of quality fuel treatment, follow directions on bottle, will also help. Be patient & take your time.

Last edited:

ndo6532

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model number 917.289244
Briggs and Staton Platinum 21hp engine

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Craftsman riding mower recently started having problems. It ran fine all last season (purchased used last September), however, the past 5 times I have mown, it will run fine for about 15-30 minutes, then will be starved for fuel. At startup of mowing there is fuel in the in line filter, however, when it dies, there is not. After letting it sit for about 20-30 minutes fuel seeps back into the filter and it will start again, but only so long as fuel remains in the filter. It has been dying multiple times per use, making it hard to get my large yard finished. I have a new in line filter I am planning to install to see if that could be the problem, but was wanting to get some opinions first. I have tried taking off the gas cap to make sure it's not vapor locked, however, that doesn't make a difference and it will not start up even then. Thanks!

Did you try and loosen the cap...after you were stalling?

Try with the cap loose from the beginning.

Many threads with similar problems...Most likely fuel or spark.
In line spark tester can help you narrow it down to the problem that you need to deal with.