Craftsman YS4500

Ross Toellner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so, I have put more time and effort into this mower than I want to admit.
A few months ago I had a Neighbor come over to mow my lawn. He called and told me he could not get it started.

when I got home I went to start it and I got clicking like the battery was dead so I got a new battery. When I went to turn it over after putting the new battery in got a burning rubber smell and it sounded like the started was seized.

I replaced the starter. When I did that the starter would go up to the fly wheel to turn over but the flywheel would not turn over. I then read that the fly wheel some time slips and you will have to turn it a bit to get it set. I did that and then went to turn over the engine. This time the flywheel on the engine spun with starter but the engine does not turn over.

I then replaced the solenoid. Hoping that would change something, It continues to do the same thing.

I then shot in the dark changed the spark plug, nothing changed.

While I know that I am not the most handy, I feel like I am missing something.

few other tidbits.

The oil level was super low the last two times I got the mower started (I was having a super difficult time finding the right amount of oil to put in the mower)

The mower has 600 hours on it and has run great until now.

the mower engine is a Briggs and Stratton gold intek 22hp.

Finally, I got a tip saying I should try to replace the flywheel pin.

I don’t know but any help would help!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If the flywheel is spinning, the engine is spinning. (unless the connecting rod is broke, in that case the crankshaft is only spinning but the piston ain't) The pin you mention was most likely the flywheel key, the key's job is for positioning the flywheel for proper ignition timing, so if it shears, it will not start, you'll need to e move the nut and check that the keyway makes a perfect square
A quick search turned up the oil capacity to 2 quarts.
So, if the engine is now spinning, get a small amount of gasoline (about 1 tablespoon) and remove the spark plug, pour it directly into the plug hole. if not WD40 or Carburetor cleaner will work. so squirt about 2 seconds worth into the plug hole, reinstall the spark plug and try to start.. if it fires up and dies, Fuel problem if no fire, then most likely NO spark. also, when you take the spark plug out place your finger over the plug hole and manually turn the engine over or bump the starter with the key, see if you get air pushing or sucking in to verify piston movement.
If it runs and Dies: Fuel delivery issue,most likely a dirty carb that needs a bath. remove it and clean it.
If it doesn't fire up: remove the plastic or metal engine cover, and locate the coil(s) they should have 2 wires on each coil, a spark plug wire and a thin kill wire, unplug the kill wire(s) and repeat the above process, if it starts, then there is an electrical issue grounding the coil causing to not produce spark. if it doesn't start with the wires unplugged, bad coil.
One thing you can do to help us so we can help you is to give us the engine model number, it will be stamped on the metal valve cover on front of the engine. that way we can give you engine specific information.

Last edited: