Craftsman Tractor Frame

lefty2cox

Threads
I got this 917.289700.

Drive belt came off. After inspection, It appears that the front trans mount broke. One of the bolts connecting the bracket to the torque strap is gone (I think the hole on the trans is stripped a bit). The two-holed brackes on either side where the transaxle mounts to the frame are bent/broken at the holes. So the trans tilted forward and the belt came off.

I've found some videos of people making a similar repair. In fact, there are some Husqvarna kits I found on the internet that give you a couple of pieces of angle to bolt in for the axle mounts on either side after cutting away the bent/broken portions.

Does anyone know of a kit for this particular model? I don't want to work harder than I have to. I know I'm going to need to get the front bracket and possibly drill/tap a hole in the trans. But if there's a kit, why re-invent the wheel? I just can't seem to find one.

Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
532437498 Vertical Drawbar frame kit

lefty2cox

Threads
Thank you. Any procedural tips for alignment on this project? Landmarks you might suggest? That bolt pattern doesn't exist on the machine so I'm going to have to drill the holes for it. Or is it just a matter of taking accurate measurements before cutting the old section out?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or, is this an option for me? If so, has anyone ever replaced one of these? I can't find a part number for this on the schematic but this looks exactly like the one on the machine I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DF3U1J4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1ZFE7OK40X5ZX&psc=1
only if yours is not welded in place which most I have seen are welded.

As for the brackets the instructions comes in the kit. Here is snip from the instructions of the indexing of the bracket. As far as I know only one is drilled for each bracket. Also new torque bracket screws are included in the kit.
bracket indexing.png

Last edited:

lefty2cox

Threads
That's good news about the instructions. I think that makes the kit the easier path to success then. Thank you.

lefty2cox

Threads
I'm trying to figure out if it's easier to drop the trans with the wheels still on or should I remove the wheels. My first time doing this. Any tips?

Thanks

lefty2cox

Threads
This one is done. Thanks for the help. Went with the kit. Great instructions and super easy to install.