Craftsman self-propelled electric start not working

DadRob

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman self-propelled electric start not working
Please pardon me if there is a thread. I did not find it in a search.

My Craftsman self-propelled 917.370442 starts with pull cord, but electric start does not work. Battery tests good. I even replaced the battery, same problem. The wire from the battery reads 12v. I tested the fuse for continuity, shows good. I also tested the charger, reads 19v output. I don’t get any indication that the starter is trying to engage, no click or anything.

That is the extent of my electrical knowledge. I had some work done on it last fall. Could something not have been put back together tight?

Any help is appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the VDC at the plug where it connects to the battery? No voltage, something wrong in the wiring. 12+ VDC bad starter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be a switch associated with the kill bail handle that is most likely not working. That switch has to activate in order for the electric start system to function.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That switch is most often located near the engine brake lever.

DadRob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the VDC at the plug where it connects to the battery? No voltage, something wrong in the wiring. 12+ VDC bad starter.
I did disconnect the plug going to the battery. At least I think that’s what it is. It read 12 volts on the multimeter. If it’s the starter, I may not be able to find a replacement, as the mower is several years old. Thanks for your answer.

DadRob

Forum Newbie
Threads
There should be a switch associated with the kill bail handle that is most likely not working. That switch has to activate in order for the electric start system to function.
Thank you for the answer. Are you talking about the start switch? If that is it, then it is no longer available.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think IL is talking about the kill switch located on the engine. Follow the cable from the brake bail on the handle down to the engine. You should find the switch on the brake control plate. Looks like your engine model number is 128M05-5468-F1. Check on the engine shroud or flap over the muffler to confirm this. If I’m right the starter number should be 799045.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the answer. Are you talking about the start switch? If that is it, then it is no longer available.
I think IL is talking about the kill switch located on the engine. Follow the cable from the brake bail on the handle down to the engine. You should find the switch on the brake control plate. Looks like your engine model number is 128M05-5468-F1. Check on the engine shroud or flap over the muffler to confirm this. If I’m right the starter number should be 799045.
Some of those type setups used a separate switch to close the contacts for the starter that acted as a safety swithch. Basically to prevent somebody from hitting the start button without pulling the safety bail. But in the case of the OP I have also seen the contacts go bad in the start button and will cause the same effect. Need to determine if the battery voltage is actually making it to the starter when the button is pressed.