Craftsman Rotary Blade Shaft Bearing

DEBCON

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. Can anyone help me? I am replacing the bearings on the rotary blade shafts on the deck of a Craftsman ride on mower . Can anyone tell me what the leather/fibre/? washer is made of that sits between the shoulder and the bottom bearing. I have removed the bearing by grinding it off and I'm looking to replace it with a better quality bearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is a felt type material but is not available through the parts system. It is not necessary to replace it. The bearing are press fit so the shaft needs to cold and bearing very warm for ease of fit. The spindle bearings are dependent if you have a Husqvarna or MTD built unit. Husqvarna units uses 6203-2RS top and 6204-2RS bottom. The MTD units uses 6204-2RS for both bearings. These bearings have a C3 clearance rating.

The key here is to repack the bearing with EP2 grease as many bearings have poor quality grease and/or unpacked.

DEBCON

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a felt type material but is not available through the parts system. It is not necessary to replace it. The bearing are press fit so the shaft needs to cold and bearing very warm for ease of fit. The spindle bearings are dependent if you have a Husqvarna or MTD built unit. Husqvarna units uses 6203-2RS top and 6204-2RS bottom. The MTD units uses 6204-2RS for both bearings. These bearings have a C3 clearance rating.

The key here is to repack the bearing with EP2 grease as many bearings have poor quality grease and/or unpacked.
Hi. Many thanks for your quick response. You say that there is no need to replace that felt washer, what is the purpose of it then? I thought it was to offer some (?) water proofing to the bearing. Cheers DEBCON

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The bearing numbers given are double sealed bearings, nothing more needed. I pry the inner seal out of the bearing to repack, if careful the seal can be put back in.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi. Many thanks for your quick response. You say that there is no need to replace that felt washer, what is the purpose of it then? I thought it was to offer some (?) water proofing to the bearing. Cheers DEBCON
The felt washer is to help prevent wrapping of material and to help keep dust from building up between the bearing seal and the shaft. That felt would also hold water making rusting a bigger issue.

Bellcrank

Threads
Hi. Can anyone help me? I am replacing the bearings on the rotary blade shafts on the deck of a Craftsman ride on mower . Can anyone tell me what the leather/fibre/? washer is made of that sits between the shoulder and the bottom bearing. I have removed the bearing by grinding it off and I'm looking to replace it with a better quality bearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Original AYP OEM part 532153390 - WASHER FELT