Repairs Craftsman Riding Mower Will Not Start Despite New Battery

medizzyu

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman Riding Mower Will Not Start Despite New Battery
Have a Craftsman Riding Mower ..model 917.272680. It cut fine this past summer. Ran it a couple of times in the winter, but had to recharge the battery to get it to start. After the third time (in the winter) charging the battery, it would not start...when I turned the key, nothing happened, with the exception being that the needle showing voltage movement moved...but otherwise nothing.

Just bought a new battery today, but the issue hasn't resolved. I turn the key, and the needle showing voltage moves, but nothing happens.

Can charging/overcharging the battery (old one) cause any issues? What sequence should I go thru to try and solve this issue and get it to run?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeden

Threads
Check for a blown relay/solenoid, bad ground or starter.

Mikel1

Threads
I would first check the connections to battery, solenoid and starter, make sure they are tight. If they are then try shorting the solenoid, does starter now turn?

medizzyu

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would first check the connections to battery, solenoid and starter, make sure they are tight. If they are then try shorting the solenoid, does starter now turn?

Thank you both for the reply. If shorting means connecting jumper cables.to.the red part of the battery directly to the engine..i did that...engine began to start..lots of sparks. Put on a new solenoid last night...unfortunately.. the problem now seems wors
Wheras before when i turned the key the volts recognized a charge on the mower by needle indicating.g so..now i turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. I tried putting in a new fuse as well. Pretty bummed. Not sure what to do at this point.

Mikel1

Threads
I usually just use a large flat head screwdriver and arc from solenoid post(battery side) to other solenoid post(starter side).
If you have a multimeter then test for 12+V on the solenoid post(battery side). Check for 12+V leading into the ignition switch. If those are both good then check solenoid for 1 or 2 small wires connected to the tab(s) on the solenoid. If there is just 1 small wire then disconnect it and put positive probe on the wire(not the solenoid tab). Negative probe to a good ground. While trying to start normally do you have 12+V on the wire. If you have 2 small wires instead of 1 small wire then one will be a ground so leave it hooked up to the solenoid tab and disconnect other wire and test it as described for 1 wire.

rocky4

Threads
Have a Craftsman Riding Mower ..model 917.272680. It cut fine this past summer. Ran it a couple of times in the winter, but had to recharge the battery to get it to start. After the third time (in the winter) charging the battery, it would not start...when I turned the key, nothing happened, with the exception being that the needle showing voltage movement moved...but otherwise nothing.

Just bought a new battery today, but the issue hasn't resolved. I turn the key, and the needle showing voltage moves, but nothing happens.

Can charging/overcharging the battery (old one) cause any issues? What sequence should I go thru to try and solve this issue and get it to run?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Do you have your mower running yet? Can you turn the motor by hand? If not or its hard to turn you need to adjust the
valves. Due to wear on the cam shaft and valve rods, the valves get out of adjustment and there is too much pressure buildup. Remove spark plug and see if you can turn motor by hand, if pressure is the problem. Let me know and I will walk you through the process. Hope this helps. ( I had the same problem with two engines).