Craftsman Model 917.377842 - Oil in air filter compartment

snerge

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman Model 917.377842 - Oil in air filter compartment
:confused2: I did the usual prep for the lawn cutting season. I had my blade sharpened & balanced, changed oil, changed spark plug & put fresh gas in. I've never had a problem and starts after 2 pulls. In taking off & putting the blade on, I must have tipped the lawn mower the wrong way. The only thing I can think of. After several pulls it didn't start. I looked around the deck & found oil below the air filter compartment. I opened it up & there was oil. The air filter was soaked. I tried cleaning the filter but it was too soaked. I tried starting w/o filter but that didn't work either. I bought a new filter but wonder if it'll happen again. 2 people have given me a couple of things to try. 1. - Pull the spark plug out, pull the engine 5 or 6 times and then squirt about a teaspoon of gas in the hole and put plug back in. 2. - Squirt starter fluid 2 or 3 times into the carb & pull until the oil burns off. I'm not sure what to do. HELP! I sure would appreciate any help. Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
CRAFTSMAN Gas Walk Behind Lawnmower Parts | Model 917377842 | Sears PartsDirect manual & parts

Absolutely, always turn fuel valve to off & carburetor side of engine up, topside, when working under deck. Check oil level on dipstick, is oil on full mark? remove spark plug & wipe down with shop towel or rag till it's dry, reinstall plug, fresh gas in tank, make sure to wipe all oil from air filter housing before installing new air filter. Let us know how it goes.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do what you have been advised, but it may take three or four attempts. You are not the first or will be the last to make this mistake, even happens to us techs. You can fog the nieghborhood while the oil is burning of.