Craftsman Mini Tiller/Cultivator 31cc / Carburetor Mix Adjustment Tool

Ron_P

Threads
  • / Craftsman Mini Tiller/Cultivator 31cc / Carburetor Mix Adjustment Tool
I have this old Craftsman mini tiller/cultivator aka POS, I'm trying to get running again. Need it for my garden. It will start, but then dies. Classic symptom of the carb needing adjusted. I've replaced the fuel lines, primer bulb, ect. Spark plug is good, gap is good. The problem I'm having is the mixture adjustment screws (H,L) do not seem to be spline, like all my other engines. I have a spline/carb adjustment set of 6 drivers, none fit. They appear to be spent shell primers, you know, having a little dent in them.
I'm attaching a photo of the mixture screws. Can someone tell me what tool is needed to adjust them? Also attaching photo of the POS tiller, and only engine info I can find.

Attachments

• carb_mix_adjust.jpg
    carb_mix_adjust.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 12
  • craftsmanPOS.jpg
    craftsmanPOS.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 9
  • engInfo-1.jpg
    engInfo-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 6
  • engInfo-2.jpg
    engInfo-2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 10

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You need an ACIRCLE tool.
1655498366508.png
I only found them in set of Hipa carburetor tools on Amazon.

Ron_P

Threads
Good news and bad news.
Good news I received my Hipa tool set, that has the A Circle driver. It works on one of the adjustments.
Bad news, I can't get (as looking at the adjustments) the one on the right, to budge. I'm guessing it's the High side adjustment. I can get it to start, idle, but when I apply throttle it bogs and dies. Which tells me the High needs adjusted.
I've tried using my hemostat, small needle-nose pliers to grab hold of it and move it. So far no luck. I'm really not wanting to invest another $80-90 for a new carb. So I'll pull the carb and mess with it some more. Maybe super-glue tool to it??? :D😜😳

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
KEEP and remove OEM carb from engine. Break it down removing all small parts. Boil clean the carb on your stove top with water and those automatic dishwasher balls. Use a candy thermometer to keep water/soap temp at 200F. Boil for 30 minutes. Rinse well in clean water to neutralize after. Blow out with compressed air. Reassemble carb. Flip carb over and blow test carb needle/seat (fuel inlet pipe). Should hold 7psi for 30 minutes.

Next toss in a carb rebuild kit. Install and test.

Ron_P

Threads
Didn't need to boil anything. Removed the carb, used some grease (elbow type), and maintained pressure in attempts to turn, and I finally won. So fired it up, and now it idles, and throttles up.
Now I need to find what oil the "transmission" uses. I want to make sure it's full. This thing has been sitting, buried beneath misc items in my garage for about 7 yrs.