craftsman magneto?

gray squirrel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, new to the forum, I inherited a craftsman 21hp v-twin with a 42 inch deck. It sat for 2 years in a building, and was in pretty bad shape. the flywheel, magneto, coil were all rusted stuck. I cleaned everything up, gapped the coil, and pulled the plugs. it will turn freely without plugs. Coil is working, checked spark on both plugs. Put it all back together, and now when you attempt to start, it will act like a dead battery, then I reach up and turn the flywheel by hand, and it will start and run fine. Is it a bad magneto, coil, or is a valve issue. Thanks for any help with this mower.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The bendix (sliding gear assembly) might be sticking. Check the end of the starter, if it's all rusty, the bendix is probably hanging up, and you have to turn the flywheel to get it to release. (go back down)

Checking your valve adjustment wouldn't hurt, either. (Briggs recommends a yearly check of clearance)

gray squirrel

Forum Newbie
Threads
The bendix (sliding gear assembly) might be sticking. Check the end of the starter, if it's all rusty, the bendix is probably hanging up, and you have to turn the flywheel to get it to release. (go back down)

Checking your valve adjustment wouldn't hurt, either. (Briggs recommends a yearly check of clearance)

I put a new starter on it also, still doing the same.

CajunCub

Threads
Battery cables not making a good ground or a connection to the battery, not being able to pull enough amps for the starter to work right. Possiblely the ignition switch contacts inside it have gone bad. FYI....those starters don't have "bendix" it is a worm drive. The torque from the sudden twist on the starter motor throws the drive gear upwards to the bottom of the flywheel gear. That is why the starter having full access to all available amps is critical. Check your cables then your switch.....

Last edited:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well excuuuse me! :laughing: Bendix is a fine point of reference. Go split someone else's hairs! LOL

I'm not the only one who calls it a bendix!

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

jeff

Threads
There is a ring gear on the bottom of the flywheel. If your starter works fine after turning the flywheel by hand, I would check that ring gear for a damaged spot. The gear is replacable, butinvolves drilling out the factory rivets. The only other thing that MAY cause your problem would be valve adjustment.