Craftsman LT2000 with 20 HP B&S engine, Cranks Won't Start

hntrsr

Threads
  • / Craftsman LT2000 with 20 HP B&S engine, Cranks Won't Start
I was cutting the grass and it stopped running. It would turn over but would not catch. Applied some starter fluid into the carburetor and it started. Installed a repair kit clean all openings with Carburetor cleaner, the solenoid actuator was bent reolaced it and re-installed carburetor. Still will not start. I was so sure the carburetor was the problem am I missing something

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Does the fuel solenoid click when you turn on the key. If not then find out of you have 12v to the solenoid, and also make sure the ground wire off the solenoid is truly grounded.

hntrsr

Threads
Thanks for the reply. The original solenoid actuator was bent and I replace the solenoid. The solenoid clicks and is working fine. I am really puzzle as to why this monster won't start

taxidermist

Threads
if it will still start with starting fluid than it is either your fuel pump is bad, the solenoid is still staying closed,the tank vent is plugged.

Rob

hntrsr

Threads
if it will still start with starting fluid than it is either your fuel pump is bad, the solenoid is still staying closed,the tank vent is plugged.

Rob

Thanks for the reply. The engine is a B&S 31P977-0575-E1 with carb 792768. Removed the carburetor and the bowl was filled with gas, sprayed carb cleaner into main jet and it came out of manifold. Debating whether I should diassemble carb and throw it in a carb bath maybe I missed cleaning an important jet.

hntrsr

Threads
Thanks for the follow up. I think it is a gravity fed system. The gas line connects directly to the carburetor. Are there issues with the NIKKI carb? Is there a replacement for it.

taxidermist

Threads
Not really, but if you dont get it just right when you put the carb together you can screw up the plastic piece.

Rob

hntrsr

Threads
Thanks for your interest in my problem. I think you have a point about the plastic piece being the problem. There is gas in the bowl put it doesn't come thu the plastic piece into the manifold. In researching the NIKKI carb problems I notice my carb is like the B&S diagram and Partstree.com has a diagram with some extra parts in it. a Spring # 369 on their diagram and the main jet has an o-ring to hold it in place. # 117A on partstree. com's diagram. Tomorrow I will try to obtain the plactic piece and the two extra parts and put it back together

hntrsr

Threads
I just came in from mowing the lawm with the mower. It ran strong. The problem was the Main jet was not seated properly. After replacing the main jet(the new one screws into the fuel transfer) and the fuel transfer it started.