craftsman lt2000, cutting out

gregoryb

Forum Newbie
Threads
17hp Kohler engine. It has always cut out like it is out of gas but never dies on this one section of my yard where the grass is a little thicker, but i could go through slow and it would start running great again, otherwise ran great and starts right up every time. Now it does it every few minutes. Takes forever to right itself. Carb was rebuilt this year, new plug, new fuel filter, new igniton coil on the way. Anything else to look at? I know these have fuel problems. Anybody ever put a low pressure electric pump on these?

grumpyunk

Threads
I would check that the governor is functional and the carb linkage is free to move and open the throttle plate completely. If the linkage is gummy, the governor will be slow to note an increase in load(reduced rpm), and the engine can stall before the throttle plate has opened. If the governor does not allow full-throttle, you will be power limited, and the engine will not be delivering all that it can.
You did not note engine model, nor mower deck size, but 17hp should be more than enough to mow grass that is totally not out of hand. When you get into thicker grass, do you note a change in the sound the engine is making? It should change as the governor allows the throttle plate to be opened up by the spring connected to the manual control. The engine will produce a different noise as it is working harder.
I have a 15.5 on a 42" deck AYP that will plow through the heaviest growth with little difference in rpm. It will leave some uncut grass if I have selected a too-high gear, but the engine will not hesitate. I *can* hear the engine work harder as the grass length varies.
tom

gregoryb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im sorry. It is a Kohler cv490s. Can you go into more detail about the governor? Maybe some pics or something?

grumpyunk

Threads
Check here for a service manual for your mower:

Never mind. This software eats the URLs and provides error codes.

Or go to this site and get the manual factory direct:

Never mind. This software eats the URLs and provides error codes.

Where you can select the model/hp/orientation and get the correct manual.
Your (and my) engine models are discontinued or 'retired', so follow that path.

I would check that the linkage allows full throttle. The governor is connected to the carburetor by a lever to the right of and behind the carburetor. The lever will sit almost vertical at rest. It will move as the hand control is moved from slow to fast in response to the spring. The lever should allow the throttle to open fully. You can figure direction for full by moving the control. As you move to fast, the throttle plate will try to open. Watch as you move the control, and going in the same direction, verify you can move the throttle plate wide open, and the governor does not limit the movement.
If you have not already done so, check there is not sediment in the fuel tank, the filter is working, and the fuel line is not falling apart inside. If you have a pump, the pump should flow fuel right away when you crank the engine a bit. If gravity, the fuel line should flow a full-diameter stream just by gravity. If not, check further.
tom

Go to my tractor forum dot com for better information and a pile of people who can help. I am done wasting my time on this site. That didn't take long.

Last edited:

gregoryb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ive tried signing up for that site. Nobody will activate me.

grumpyunk

Threads
check your spam or junk mail folder. A responding email may have been held. I have had that happen. You might also need to have an email other than one of the freebies, but I don't know for sure.
I tried to post URLs for places, and they got turned to ERROR and I spent way too much time trying to get them in right.
Apparently, URLs for other sites are a no no, so this site will be removed from my list of places to offer help, worthy of that adjective or not.
tom