Repairs CRAFTSMAN LT2000 - BLUE SMOKE & WON'T STAY RUNNING

BRZFAN

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking for help to diagnose the 'subject' problem I've recently experienced with my '03? Craftsman LT2000 lawn tractor.
The last time I used it, it ran fine. When I started it this week, there was alot of heavy 'blue' smoke form the exhaust and it will stay running for only 15-20 seconds. It will restart, but not stay running.
I assumed from the smoke and it's inability to stay running that I have 'burnt' or 'froze' a piston ring and it would not maintain enough compression to keep running??
I checked the oil level, it's ok, but appears to be thin, like it has gas in it? Before I 'junk' the mower, or replace the engine, I would like to know if this sounds like a problem I can fix?
SPEC'S:
'03 CRAFTSMAN LT2000
MODEL#917.273130
ENGINE- KOHLER 17 HP OHV (490 cc)
OEM#177745
FAMILY#3KHXS.4902GB (for wahtever its worth?)
I appreciate any help that anyone may be able to provide.

BRZFAN

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drain the old oil out replace with new and then take out the spark plug and clean it, turn it over a few times before putting the plug back in, refit plug and start it if you can, it may smoke for a few minute's but then go away, if after that it run's ok, you need to clean the carb or if it's fitted with a fuel solenoid check it to see if it's working, if not replace it, it may well be worth you fitting a fuel tap in line also if you have fuel in the oil, let us know what you do and how you get on.