craftsman lt1000 wont run

49er Steve

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower normally starts easily but recently I left the key on and ran the battery completely down. After charging battery it turns over ok but will not fire and run. Nothing else has been done to it, plenty of fuel etc. I assume something in electrics/ignition has been fried. What and where to troubleshoot. I assume flywheel may have to come off . Help would be appreciated. Steve

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
In order to look up the LT1000 we need the model from the serial number tag. Usually starts with 917 of 247.

But please verify the you have spark. If you do then it possible the anti afterfire solenoid on the carburetor got overheated and is now stuck.

49er Steve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, Thanks! I meant to put in post that it is a 17.5 hp B-S engine and mower number is 917.273372. I will check for fire at the plug later today.

Cusser

Threads
Use aerosol starting fluid into the air cleaner and try to start, try a few times. This test can help isolate whether the issue is fuel related or spark related for an engine where the starter spins the engine at normal speed.

If spark related, an inexpensive spark test tool can confirm no spark, and there are ways to do similar test without such tool (Google).

49er Steve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went back and checked all connections and then it started ok. Great, I have too much going on to have to work on it! Thanks to you who replied with advice.Steve