Craftsman LT1000 917.272761 freewheel control lever stuck

rune667

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 917.272761 freewheel control lever stuck
I have a Craftsman LT1000 917.272761 with a stuck freewheel control lever. Pulling the handle at the rear just stretches the spring on the rod, and doesn't move the lever, so I cannot roll the mower manually. I removed the battery and holder, and I can move the lever with a screwdriver, but it is very stiff. I cannot find anything in my searches online to tell me how this lever engages/disengages the trans-axle, where its internal return spring is (I am assuming there is one since the handle only releases the lever to move back into its "drive" position), or how to lubricate the lever pivot to free it up. Please let me know if anyone has advice. Thanks

Richie F

Threads
how to lubricate the lever pivot to free it up.
Try taking the spring off of it first.
Then spray lubricant on the pivot bolt moving the arm back and forth.
If not, lube the pivot area and use the rod at the back of the machine to move it.

rune667

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try taking the spring off of it first.
Then spray lubricant on the pivot bolt moving the arm back and forth.
If not, lube the pivot area and use the rod at the back of the machine to move it.
Thanks! I did try to lube it the best I could from the top. Is there a way to remove the lever and check it for rust/damage without removing the entire trans-axle? I wasn't sure if there was something inside the housing that would jam up, as the parts blowups don't specifically show this mechanism.

Richie F

Threads
First off I don't own a machine like this and never worked on one.
You would have to see, the best you can, how this linkage works from the back to the front first.
If you see a link point, disconnect it and see if your problem area moves better.

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
That can get gummy and stiff. I use PB Blaster and the nozzle straw helps to shoot it in the pivot pin on top of the transaxle. If you wash your tractor down, or, if you store outside uncovered, water or rain water can find its way down there and combined with mowing dust it makes a bit of trouble. Keep hosing it with a proper rust busting lubricant and moving it by hand. A little heat (heat gun not a torch) can help to free it up. It should free up. This is not uncommon if you only freewheel it infrequently and it sits for extended periods without being moved to "neutral". Removing the transaxle is not that big of a deal on that mower; five bolts total plus the v-belt and then with the transaxle out, you can definitely get it all loosened back up. Its in an awkward spot to reach with pliers or a screw driver to try to move it.

rune667

Forum Newbie
Threads
That can get gummy and stiff. I use PB Blaster and the nozzle straw helps to shoot it in the pivot pin on top of the transaxle. If you wash your tractor down, or, if you store outside uncovered, water or rain water can find its way down there and combined with mowing dust it makes a bit of trouble. Keep hosing it with a proper rust busting lubricant and moving it by hand. A little heat (heat gun not a torch) can help to free it up. It should free up. This is not uncommon if you only freewheel it infrequently and it sits for extended periods without being moved to "neutral". Removing the transaxle is not that big of a deal on that mower; five bolts total plus the v-belt and then with the transaxle out, you can definitely get it all loosened back up. Its in an awkward spot to reach with pliers or a screw driver to try to move it.
Thanks!! Yes, it does sit for quite a while and is set into freewheel infrequently. I'll keep spraying it with rust busting stuff and moving it by hand. I can reach it pretty easily through the now-empty battery compartment.