Craftsman Lawn Tractor 1996 starting issue

mwhitnell

Threads
Hi, I have a 1996 50" Craftsman with 23Hp Command Engine. I replaced the ignition switch, and rewired. I must have missed a wire somewhere in my new wiring. When I turn to start and starter engages, motor will not run. However, when I turn to start and release immediately the motor starts and runs. So I must have missed a wire connected to the ignition module that should be connected both while the switch is in start & run position. Here is the wiring diagram.Left Hand Side Front.jpgWiring diagram 1024.jpg

HughDaHand

Threads
It might be a little easier to speculate if you told us what you rewired. Is that an electric fuel pump I see in that pic?

mwhitnell

Threads
It might be a little easier to speculate if you told us what you rewired. Is that an electric fuel pump I see in that pic?
I rewired the ignition switch, PTO switch, and connected new wiring to all devices, such as clutch, ignition module, starter solenoid, hobbs meter, spark module...yes that is a elect fuel pump. The engine starts easy, just a couple of turns and release to run position and it goes great.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My suspicions is that you don't have 12 volts to the fuel solenoid while in the crank key position. Could of missed a wire or wouldn't be the first key switch that I have found failed.

Cusser

Threads
It sounds like the "Run" circuit only gets power in your "Run" position and not the "Start" position, why you need to catch it perfectly to get it to start/run.

In cars and trucks, there are separate contacts in the electrical part of the ignition switch to "close"/complete the "Run" circuit in the Start and Run positions. I have a 1988 Mazda truck that did essentially same and would crank fine but have issues with its "Run" circuit until I replaced its electrical part of the ignition switch (back in 1995).