Craftsman Lawn Mower Issues

Absolute Zero

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman 6.75 HORSEPOWER 21" REAR DISCHARGE POWER PROPELLED

ROTARY LAWN MOWER - 917.378430

Hi Gurus,

I am trying to service my old trusted lawn lower but have following issues:
  • It is running at 2200-2300 (tachometer) and I would like be around 2900 rpm. I have changed governor arm to the right ( > 90 degrees) by 1/8 increments but it still run at 2200 -2300 rpm. I made sure the arm Torx screw is tight. When I move arm while running it revs at higher speed. I What I am doing wrong?
  • I have to prime more than 10 to get it started, once started it runs fine, meaning fuel is flowing as needed. I replaced the primer bulb and also rebuild the Tecumseh carb last year, fuel line looked fine therefore I did not replace it! What to check next?
  • It is leaking a little oil from oil tube. To make sure it is not from oil sel, I had removed the flywheel, luckily no oil leak there but I found a piece of graphite about the size of flywheel key on the floor. It si smooth on one. I am of opinion that it is a part of lawn mower but can not figure out where it belongs!!!
  • It has also started making some rattling noise, please see clip. Is it from engine block. Please help in identifying.
Clip:

Much appreciated and thanks.