Repairs Craftsman DYS 4500, Intek 24hp V-Twin: Dropped push rod?

jarnkm

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman DYS 4500, Intek 24hp V-Twin: Dropped push rod?
Apparently, it has finally let me down. A friend was cutting my grass with it, while I was checking a car problem for him. It quit running and he said he thought it was out of gas, so I filled it up. Then, it refused to start! It spun over, but acted like low to no compression. Both cylinders checked out at 30+/- psi. Terrible!!! Facing engine, I removed the left head and found the intake push rod with 1/2" valve clearance!! I pulled the rocker arm and removed the sticking push rod. So, I reassembled it and it seemed fine. I turned the engine over slowly and the intake started to open, the the base of the push rod popped over to the right. With the head removed, it appeared that the lifter support must have collapsed to the left, causing the base of the lifter to shift(assumption). So ... there it sits! Any chance of repair, or is it engine time?? Thanks (At 71 and having over 50 years of auto repair shop experience, I have never failed to get opinions from other mechanics and people with a similar problem. Have an enjoyable and safe Memorial Day weekend and remember those who have served and are serving!!)