Engine Craftsman DLS 3500 - Stalls after some time on side inclines, then trouble starting

SKlos

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman DLS 3500 - Stalls after some time on side inclines, then trouble starting
My Craftsman DLS 3500 with 20 hp Briggs & Stratton engine, after a few passes on a side incline, will sputter and stall. Initially, returning it to level ground for a few minutes will get it to start again, but more passes on side inclines will increase the frequency of stalls and length of time between restarts. Independent of that behavior, when operating normally, it will start sputtering as if low on fuel when the fuel tank gets down to about 1/3 to 1/4.

Began last year around mid-summer. Changed oil, filter, spark plug at the beginning of last summer. Last fall, I disconnected the fuel line and checked for obstruction or restricted flow, but it appeared fuel was unobstructed. A friend who is much more well-versed in engine matters suggests there may be an issue with the carb float, but we haven't performed the necessary surgery on it yet to confirm his suspicions.

Any other theories / suggestions are welcome!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Craftsman DLS 3500 - Stalls after some time on side inclines, then trouble starting
If you are cutting along the incline and not up and down, my bet is that it stalls only when the carb is on the high side of the unit. This is cause by the fuel not being able to get up to the carb.

andy1949

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are cutting along the incline and not up and down, my bet is that it stalls only when the carb is on the high side of the unit. This is cause by the fuel not being able to get up to the carb.

The stalling and rough running is most likely the carberator float but you need to be aware of a much larger problem running across a slope for extended periods of time. That is lubrication problems in the engine. All the oil in the sump goes to one side and depending on where the oil pick-up is for the oil pump you run the risk of improper lubrication which also causes rough running due to lubrication break down and excessive friction that will lead to premature engine failure. ( been there - done that ) A broken connecting rod usually does enough damage to leave the engine unrepairable. Just sayin'