Export thread

Craftsman (Cub Cadet) tiller won't start

C

cupboy

Worked fine last year at this time. Replaced the spark plug, drained all fuel and put in fresh non-ethanol fuel and it just won't start. It doesn't even try to start. I may as well just disconnect the spark plug because I'd get the same response to pulling on the rope. And ideas on what to check?

A new tiller similar to this one costs $1,000 now. This one was around $700 or so when new and Home Depot had the Cub Cadet branded version until last year but they don't seem to have it this year.

Time to replace the motor again? It got replaced once under warranty but the warranty has expired.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

It is probably a clogged carburetor or no spark. Clean carb and test for spark. Does it run for a little bit with a little bit of gas poured into the carb?

C

cupboy

I could try that but since it doesn't even try to start I'd probably go with the no spark theory. What parts would be involved if there is no spark?

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

The coil could be bad since you've already replaced the sparkplug. Disconnect the kill wire to see if it's grounding out. Test for spark too.

StarTech

StarTech

But if you have no idea how the engine actually works component wise it best you just take the equipment to a shop as just guessing and throwing parts at it can get very expensive.

C

cupboy

Tried some starter fluid today. Did nothing. I removed the coil and ordered one from Amazon due on Friday. The closest store that had it in stock was 50 miles away.

So I'll be getting back to this Saturday or Sunday.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

StarTech: Don't throw parts at it. OP: -Throws parts at it- lol

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

While you're waiting, you can check for a sheared flywheel key. This will cause the coil to spark at the wrong time and won't ever start. You could also put the old coil back on and disconnect the wire coming off it. It might start...

S

slomo

While you're waiting, you can check for a sheared flywheel key. This will cause the coil to spark at the wrong time and won't ever start. You could also put the old coil back on and disconnect the wire coming off it. It might start...
It's on a tiller. Guess stranger things happen.

S

slomo

How old was the fuel that was drained out? Last year? Cost is free.

You can remove the plug and test for spark by grounding out the plug threads. Do it in a dark'ish room. Cost is free.

Pull the kill wire off the coil as Craftsman Garage said. See if she fires off. Cost is free.

Do you have an old style fuel can or a newer one? Is the cap off of it in free air? Any dirt, grass, leaves, cigarette butts or small pebbles in the bottom of the can? Most people never check for a dirty fuel can that passes trash to the mower carb. Cost is free.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Hey, I've seen sheared flywheel keys on engines that weren't even attached to anything. Never hurts to check.

C

cupboy

re: Pull the kill wire off the coil as Craftsman Garage said. See if she fires off. Cost is free.

I wish he would have mentioned that before I uninstalled the coil. I guess I'll have to put it back on tomorrow and try that.