craftsman 917.377593 with tecumseh VLV126-502523D engine complete rebuild

rittisberg1972

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / craftsman 917.377593 with tecumseh VLV126-502523D engine complete rebuild
First time here, first time rebuilding any engine of any sort. The mower had never been serviced and was leaking oil profusely. The entire machine has been pulled apart, with new gaskets everywhere, new drive box gear, new cable, new blade, new drive and engine pulleys, new muffler. New grease everywhere where required. Valves good. Carburator float bowl cleaned out, needle in perfect condition, carb itself not dirty, float itself works perfectly no cracks. The jet that drops in and its gasket seem to be in good order as well as the spring below it. Blade adapter in good shape, crank shaft no problems.

Questions:

1. After putting it all back together, fresh gas, fresh oil, (spark plug is only 3 months old with no sign of wear) I can not get it to start. the blade turns. gas is not making it to the spark plug. gas is making it into the carburator bowl but does not seem to get into the carburator itself (it is still dry).

Any ideas? Is it the jet and if so how can I tell that it is faulty. Bare in mind the machine was running before i started this.

2. one of the crank case bolts snapped in two, but it is holding both halfs of the engine perfectly together. could this be part of the issue/ will it lead to more oil leaks?

many thanks for the help. diagrams below. oh...and the grass is growing fast. aaaaarrrggghhh.

Tecumseh VLV126-502523D Exploded Parts Lookup by Model

Ifixdit

Threads
  • / craftsman 917.377593 with tecumseh VLV126-502523D engine complete rebuild
First time here, first time rebuilding any engine of any sort. The mower had never been serviced and was leaking oil profusely. The entire machine has been pulled apart, with new gaskets everywhere, new drive box gear, new cable, new blade, new drive and engine pulleys, new muffler. New grease everywhere where required. Valves good. Carburator float bowl cleaned out, needle in perfect condition, carb itself not dirty, float itself works perfectly no cracks. The jet that drops in and its gasket seem to be in good order as well as the spring below it. Blade adapter in good shape, crank shaft no problems.

Questions:

1. After putting it all back together, fresh gas, fresh oil, (spark plug is only 3 months old with no sign of wear) I can not get it to start. the blade turns. gas is not making it to the spark plug. gas is making it into the carburator bowl but does not seem to get into the carburator itself (it is still dry).

Any ideas? Is it the jet and if so how can I tell that it is faulty. Bare in mind the machine was running before i started this.

2. one of the crank case bolts snapped in two, but it is holding both halfs of the engine perfectly together. could this be part of the issue/ will it lead to more oil leaks?

many thanks for the help. diagrams below. oh...and the grass is growing fast. aaaaarrrggghhh.

Tecumseh VLV126-502523D Exploded Parts Lookup by Model

Make sure you have all the gaskets installed back in the right direction on the carb. Did you replace the plastic bowl on the carb as well?