Mower deck Craftsman 917.28990 54" Mower Blade flew off last night

dorlow

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 917.28990 54" Mower Blade flew off last night
So, it was my first mow of the season. (Well I probably over exaggerated the title but I can't change it now. I didn't fly off, but it fell off.) I mowed for a few hours. As I was pulling back into my barn, I look down and right in front of my front tires is a blade lying on the ground. Not sure if it just flew off right at the very end?

Just a few days ago, I had my mower deck off. I took the blades off to sharpen them. I put them back on like I normally do. I don't know if it's right or if there's a better way. I stick a screw driver into those holes next to the blade to kind of wedge it so I can tighten the blade without it spinning. It would be nice if there was a way to lock the blade so it didn't turn so I could really reaf on it... but I wedge a screw driver in so I can do that.

I always assumed the blades turned in a direction that would cause the bolt to tighten as it spun. I take it that's not true. What do others do to make sure this doesn't happen? Put lock tight on the bolt? I have to make sure I can take the blades off every so often to sharpen it and lock tight is going to make that a pain.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The blades should have a star shaped hole in the middle, that fits on the star shaped end of the blade mount. that is what keeps the blade from turning against the spindle shaft. the problem is most people miss the star when reinstalling blades, and unfortunately the shaft is soft, and flattens easily, so I would say that you have missed the star, damaged the shaft, and will be replacing spindle shafts shortly.

dorlow

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a star shape the blades fit into. I didn't miss it putting it on. Granted now that you say that, it probably did mess it up when it came off. Still not sure why the bolt would've just came loose on one mow. How hard is it to replace the spindle shaft? Is that something readily available at like a Tractor Supply?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any place that carries Poulan rider parts should have one, or can get them easily. the shaft isn't hard to replace, after removing the spindle pulley. It may just fall out, or may need a little bit of help, but usually not bad to replace. I replace about 20 a year in various poulan/craftsman products.

dorlow

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's been bugging me all day about another product that needed to be tightened but spins.. Just thought of it. My angle grinder to remove and tighten the wheel when turning the center nut, there's a button that I can push that locks the wheel so I can reef on the center bolt and get it tight so the bolt doesn't come flying off while using it. It surprised me they don't have anything like that for the mower blade. Like I mentioned earlier, I just stick a screw driver between a blade into the holes under it but I think the holes around the spindle behind it are just plastic, so I can't absolutely reef on it.

How do others tighten it down so it doesn't fall off?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the time I use an impact wrench to tighten the nuts/bolts. But in a pinch I will hold the blade, and tighten the nut/bolt. There are products out there that clamp onto the deck to keep the blade from turning while removing, installing.