Craftsman #917.259170 ser#050297D001153

Threads
Newbe with a couple of questions. Puchased a Craftsman 19.5 hp 42" deck with auto trans. No manual was provided. 1997 model. Today one of the axels migrated out of the differential housing about 7 or 8 inches. Some fluid was lost when I removed the axel for inspection. I reinstalled the axel and heard a click when the axel bottomed out. now it seems to be back where it belongs. I would like to top off the fluid, what type do I add to the transaxel? Hydraulic fluid? 20/50 motor oil? Will I need to bleed the system to remove any air pockets? This is done by leaving the mower in gear and pushing it backwards without the engine running? Any help would be apreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have the hydrogear tranny then 20/50 is what they use. But first I would make sure that axle doesn't pull back out. Most of the axles use e clips or snap rings to hold them in, and if the axle came out you may have bigger issues that need to be repaired before adding oil.

Threads
Yes, the auto trans is the one I'm dealing with. When I inspected the axel for damage I noticed the end was tapered . Looks to me like it was designed to install by pushing into the differential and seating into the restraining clip.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I've done my research correctly you have a HydroGear transaxle. This means that if the axle came out you are going to have to pull the transmission apart to repair. Unless you are an experienced mechanic, I would not attempt to do so. One mistake could cost you big money and at this time of the year a long down time for you tractor.

Threads
When the axel came out I lost both forward and reverse gears. Came aruond a tree and coasted to a stop. After shoving the axel back in I got brave and started the green beast and tried the transmission. It moved! Both forward and reverse without any problems except it seemed a little sluggish. Could be my imagination. I drove it around in a circle and the axel stayed put and there were no strange noises. Since I only paid $325 for the beast I really am not looking forward to a big repair bill. I think I'm going to try it and see what happens.

Threads
OK. That worked like a champ. Got about 50' and the axle came out again. Did a little research and found out that there is a 59 cent retaining clip that holds the differential spider gear on the axle that is most likely my problem. Looks like the folks that responded to my questions were right, allthough I really had hoped things would have a better outcome. Temps will be in the low 70's here in couple of days. Just right for removing the transaxle.

Threads
I am absolutely amazed. The people I bought the mower from are going to either repair or replace the transaxle with a used unit. I did have to remove the transaxle but it came out easily. Something like this restores my faith in the basic good of people.