Craftsman 917.254940 B&S Vanguard 14 HP V-Twin...Starter removal Question

mcmurray

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 917.254940 B&S Vanguard 14 HP V-Twin...Starter removal Question
I have had the above mower since new. Serial 1020S02568. The starter gear (Part 280104) decided to call it quits today. I removed the flywheel housing etc. hoping it would be a simple matter to remove the starter. One starter bolt, no problem but the other one is half hidden behind the clutch assembly and cannot be accessed straight on. I did get an 1/2" box end wrench over the bolt head by approaching it from the side but there appears to be no room to work this loose.
My question is would I be better off just taking off the flywheel to get at the starter? If so, is there anything I should know before I attempt this? Is something liable to fall out which I wouldn't have a clue about putting back or is it just a case of removing the large nut and simply lifting it off? As you can tell I have never removed a flywheel before and am leery to do so without a little advice. Any suggestions would be well appreciated.
Art

Ifixdit

Threads
I have had the above mower since new. Serial 1020S02568. The starter gear (Part 280104) decided to call it quits today. I removed the flywheel housing etc. hoping it would be a simple matter to remove the starter. One starter bolt, no problem but the other one is half hidden behind the clutch assembly and cannot be accessed straight on. I did get an 1/2" box end wrench over the bolt head by approaching it from the side but there appears to be no room to work this loose.
My question is would I be better off just taking off the flywheel to get at the starter? If so, is there anything I should know before I attempt this? Is something liable to fall out which I wouldn't have a clue about putting back or is it just a case of removing the large nut and simply lifting it off? As you can tell I have never removed a flywheel before and am leery to do so without a little advice. Any suggestions would be well appreciated.
Art

If you do remove the flywheel you need to hold the lever down to release the engine brake (just like when you start the mower). You have to pry the flywheel up while hitting the flywheel nut with a big hammer to get it to pop off. There is a flywheel key that may fall out or it may still be attached to the keyway on the crankshaft. It's probably a good idea to remove the coil before trying to remove the flywheel which means you'll need to reset the gap to the flywheel when reinstalling.

You don't have to remove the flywheel to get the starter off but I would at least remove the shroud to make it easier. Just keep on with the wrench but plan on making very tiny movements at a time.

mcmurray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your advice Fixdit. I think I best forget about removing the flywheel. (Won't feel comfortable removing it). Maybe a little grinding here and there on the 1/2" wrench will help me get the box end onto the bolt head. That's my main problem. Cannot get the wrench onto the bolt head. Need another 1/8" to 3/16" to play with.
Thanks for your response.
Art