Craftsman 917.252520 Deck

kroohrsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need help. I have a 42: deck that I installed new pullies, new spindles, new blades, new brakes and new springs. Only thing not replaced is the plate for the pullies. Two issues, first I am not sure if I have the brake springs installed correctly. Secondly, I ran the mower and had the following issue. The blade engagement lever was really hard to push up into position. Also, after engaging the blades, they will not disengage. I just don't know what else to replace or adjust? I am reading that the engagement plate can wear and cause issues. So first I need help on the spring installation, need help on how the deck should work and what may case the blades to not disengage. Also the engage lever should not be so hard to push up. This is a 15.5 HP motor and I believe a 1999 mower. Please help.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
first question is what was the issue that made you want to replace everything?
second question, was it working right before the work?
third question. Did you take detailed photos and notes before you began your work, or did you just try to commit it to memory?

kroohrsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
first question is what was the issue that made you want to replace everything?
second question, was it working right before the work?
third question. Did you take detailed photos and notes before you began your work, or did you just try to commit it to memory?
The tractor was given to us and not operating. First, I repaired the motor issues. The deck itself had bad blades, the spindles were not turning smoothly, the belt was trashed, the brake pads had nothing left on them. Not 100% sure what was working properly on the deck, had to address the motor issues first which I did. Yes, I took photos but not clear enough on the springs.

So, does that answer your questions? Why I changed the parts is irrelevant to my question. The parts were simply changed on a mower deck that has been out of service for some years. So, moving on do you have any helpful comments? I am just reaching out for some help that might get me going in the right direction.

Last edited:

Cusser

Threads
I believe that the tensioner pulley (which should have a spring to release it when you move the lever out of the blade engagement position) is too tight and not moving freely. I've had that get stuck from dirt while mowing tumbleweeds, and I had to take stuff off and clean and lube that to operate properly. On my 2005 LT1000 that idler is on the right side of the deck.
Craftsman LT1000 deck.png

kroohrsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to solve the issue. The plate ( mentioned above) that the right idler pully is attached to was worn and would not lock into position. I had a new plate, installed it and now it stays in place when it's supposed to. All working well now. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited: