Repairs Craftsman 33" Walk Behind (987.889000) Multiple Issues

TikiGod1977

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 33" Walk Behind (987.889000) Multiple Issues
I rescued this older Craftsman 33" walk behind mower from a scrap heap to help me with a steep back yard. With a lot of tinkering and right at $100 in parts, I have it purring like a kitten and it mows like a dream. However, I have three distinct issues that I just can't seem to fix:

1.) I put a brand new carb and fuel line on, but when the engine is cold, it is extremely hard to start, like its not getting gas. I can see the fuel in the fuel line going right into the carb, but from there I'm not sure what's happening. If I pull it 8-10 times and it doesn't start, a quick squirt of starting fluid and it fires right up and runs just fine. Any suggestions?

2.) No matter which gear I'm in, if I release the drive lever (bottom) but continue to hold the operator present lever (top), the mower will continue to pull unless going uphill.

3.) When I disengage the blades, they slow down but do not stop. The brake never moves over to the pulley to stop the blade rotation unless I take something and push on it.

Any help and/or suggestions to these issues would be greatly appreciated!